VIRTUAL 7-WEEK SEWING COURSE: Ottoline Jacket
Interested in attending but no sessions available that fit your schedule? Please fill out this form and we will notify you when new sessions are added!
Ready dive deeper into the world of DIY wardrobes? Learn to sew jean jacket in this intermediate level workshop led by Christine Haynes!
In this seven-week course, you'll sew a Merchant & Mills Ottoline Jacket, a timeless, workwear-inspired denim jacket that will become a staple in your wardrobe!
You'll learn how to sew a jacket from start to finish, including how to:
- Measure the body accurately to create a perfect fit
- Sew a patch pocket and inside pocket
- Topstitch accurately to create a polished, professional finishing using regular sewing thread
- Sew button-holes
- Sew a yoke and collar
- Sew Sleeves
- Work with heavy fabrics
- **Please note: we will not sewing the side or sleeve vents during this course**
This is a 7-week course being held on the following dates:
Monday 11/16 at 6pm-7pm - The is an introductory info session to kick off the workshop and discuss sizing, fabric prep, pattern cutting, etc. Students will be tasked with washing/pressing their fabric + cutting out their patterns and fabric at their own pace before the first session of sewing. For the remainder of the course, students will sew along with the instructor as they demonstrate each step. Homework may be assigned between sessions.
Monday 11/23 at 6pm-8pm
Monday 11/30 at 6pm-8pm
Monday 12/7 at 6pm-8pm
Monday 12/14 at 6pm-8pm
Monday 12/21 at 6pm-8pm
Monday 12/28 at 6pm-8pm
This workshop is suitable for intermediate sewers who have successfully completed a few garments in the recent past.
Materials + Tools Required
- Ottoline Jacket Pattern -- Purchase printed pattern here!
- 2-4 yards (depending on size and fabric width) medium-heavy weight non-stretch denim or canvas. See size chart above to determine yardage needed-- please be sure to check measurements these are UK sizes! Be sure to wash, dry, and press your fabric before class!
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread (contrasting thread for the topstitching is optional!)
- 5 3/4" buttons
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine -- please make sure your machine is in good working order before registering for this workshop :)
- Iron and ironing board or mat
Date & Time: Seven evenings-- see dates above! Please note: the date you select a the top of the page is the first of seven parts for this workshop.
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Details will be emailed within 24-48 hours before the workshop begins.
Max # of students: 8
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Christine Haynes is a Brooklyn-based sewing author, teacher, and pattern designer. Christine grew up in Saugatuck, MI, a small beach community on the southwestern coast of Lake Michigan, where the arts were part of her daily life. She attended the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts in the department of Film, Video, and New Media.
Her mother taught her to sew around the age of 10, and it grew from a personal hobby, until it became her main artistic outlet. After selling ready-to-wear garments for many years, Christine turned her focus to teaching others to experience the joy of making clothing for themselves through her patterns, books, and workshops.