GREENPOINT WORKSHOP: Sew a Zadie Jumpsuit
Interested in attending but no sessions available that fit your schedule? Please fill out this form and we will notify you when new sessions are added!
Please note: All class registrations are final; please view our Cancellation Policy and Covid-19 Policy for more information. By registering for this workshop, you are agreeing to abide by these policies. Thank you for supporting our small business!
Join us to to make a Paper Theory Zadie Jumpsuit in this 4-week course!
The Zadie Jumpsuit is a relaxed and easy to wear one piece that comes with the option of wide 3/4 length sleeves, or sleeveless with a dropped shoulder. It wraps around the body and fastens with a tie so there is no need for buttons or a zip - making it simple to sew, and simple to get on and off-- which, of course, is not always the case for a jumpsuit!
The legs are cut wide and skim above the ankle. There are deep slant pockets on the front, with small pleats at the waist on the front and back. The neck edge is finished with a bias binding.
In this workshop, we'll cover:
- Measuring the body accurately to create a perfect fit
- Working from a commercial pattern, including size selection, deciphering instructions, cutting from paper pattern pieces, and more
- Understanding garment sewing basics such as proper fabric prep, pinning, cutting, ironing and troubleshooting
- Becoming familiar with sewing jargon commonly found in commercial patterns
- How to make bias binding for a neckline
- How create a slant trouser pocket
- How to sew a fabric tie for a belt
You'll leave this class with the skills and confidence to tackle more garment sewing on your own!
This is an advanced beginner level workshop. You must be comfortable using a sewing machine and have sewn garments from a commercial sewing pattern in the recent past. If you're unsure if you have the right experience for this workshop, feel free to email email@example.com for more info!
(Not included in registration fee. A 10% discount will apply to class materials purchased at our shop. Use code ZADIE10 if shopping our online store, or feel free to swing by our shop anytime ahead of the workshop! Materials will be available for purchase the day of class, as well.)
- 2.5 - 5 yards (depending on size, fabric width, and sleeve length selected) medium weight woven fabric like cotton or linen, or even a heartier fabric like a lighter weight denim or drill! See size charts above to determine yardage needed (UK Size 6-28 available; be sure to check body measurements)
- All-purpose sewing thread
This is a four-part workshop taking place on the dates below:
Tuesday 10/25 at 6:30-9:30pm
Tuesday 11/1 at 6:30-9:30pm
Tuesday 11/8 at 6:30-9:30pm
Tuesday 11/15 at 6:30-9:30pm
Date & Time: Four evenings, please choose start date above!
Location: Brooklyn Craft Company, 165 Greenpoint Avenue (here’s where we’re located).
Cost: $275 includes 12 hours of instruction, a printed copy of the Zadie pattern, all necessary tools, and use of our BERNINA sewing machines; does not include fabric or notions, which will be available for purchase during class with a 10% student discount.
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
Meet Your Instructor
Diana Rodgers is a teaching artist living in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Since earning a BFA in apparel design from FIT, she has enjoyed a varied creative career including fashion designer, entrepreneur, and teacher. The ‘common thread’ among all these endeavors is sewing. Diana currently teaches weekly sewing classes to children and adults, covering everything from clothing to accessories to quilts. When not teaching, she creates sewn illustrations (or appliqué), inspired by all the things that make her feel nostalgic. You can check 'em out on Instagram @wonderthreads