Sew a Buckthorn Backpack (Weekend Intensive, 2 parts)
Please note: All class registrations are final; please view our Cancellation Policy and Covid-19 Policy for more information. By registering for this workshop, you are agreeing to abide by these policies. Thank you for supporting our small business!
Skill level requirement: this is NOT a learn to sew class; you must have sewn in the recent past, and be confident operating a sewing machine independently. See below for more info. If you're a total beginner, check out our Sewing 101 Workshops.
Learn to sew a stylish Buckthorn Backpack!
You’ll love this zippered top backpack for everyday use. It features a front pocket for easy access to smaller items, a divided interior pocket to keep everything inside organized, and a flat base. The backpack has adjustable straps and fits tablets, small laptops, and/or notebooks!
This is a two-part, weekend intensive workshop taking place on the following dates:
Saturday, August 26th at 3:30pm-6:30pm
Sunday, August 27th at 11am-6pm
In this weekend workshop, you'll learn how to:
- Follow a commercial bag pattern
- Work with heavyweight fabrics
- Install a zipper
- Create interior and exterior pockets
- Install bag hardware including triangle rings, strap sliders, and swivel hooks
- Make a lined backpack from start to finish
- **Please note: we will not be covering how to use fleece or foam with lighter fabrics for this workshop. We will be making the waxed canvas version of this bag only**
Fabric and other supplies will be available for purchase in our retail shop & on our website at a 10% discount to students.
- 3/4 yard canvas or waxed canvas for the exterior fabric. **Please note: we will not be covering how to use fleece or foam foam with lighter fabrics for this workshop.** If you use non-waxed canvas, you may need to add interfacing for extra structure!
- 1 yard lining fabric - Non-waxed canvas, denim, or other heavy fabric. If you'd prefer to use a lighter fabric like a quilting cotton or linen, you will also need an additional 1 yard of heavy fusible interfacing)
- 16" zipper (or longer if nylon!)
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- Two 1.5" triangle rings
- Two 1.5" swivel hooks
- Two 1.5" strap sliders
- 4 yards 1.5" webbing
- 1/2 yard heavy fusible interfacing
- All other tools (wonder clips, denim machine needles, iron, etc) required for this project will be available for use at our shop
Skill requirements: This is a confident beginner/ intermediate sewing workshop; you do not need to have any experience sewing bags, but you must have basic machine-sewing skills and be comfortable and confident operating a sewing machine. Our Sewing 101 class (or equivalent) is a minimum prerequisite for this class. (You can register for one of our upcoming Sewing 101 workshops here.) If you're unsure whether you have enough sewing experience for this class, please send a brief email summarizing your sewing experience to email@example.com.
Date & Time: Select date above (Date selected is the first of two parts)
Location: Brooklyn Craft Company, 165 Greenpoint Avenue (here's where we're located)
Cost: $185.00 includes 10 hours of instruction, bag pattern, and use of our BERNINA sewing machines. Does NOT include fabric or other supplies-- All required materials will be available for purchase at our shop a 10% discount.
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Diana Rodgers is a teaching artist living in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Since earning a BFA in apparel design from FIT, she has enjoyed a varied creative career including fashion designer, entrepreneur, and teacher. The ‘common thread’ among all these endeavors is sewing. Diana currently teaches weekly sewing classes to children and adults, covering everything from clothing to accessories to quilts. When not teaching, she creates sewn illustrations (or appliqué), inspired by all the things that make her feel nostalgic. You can check 'em out on Instagram @wonderthreads