Intro to Garment Sewing - Free Range Slacks (Hybrid)
Interested in attending but no sessions available that fit your schedule? Please fill out this form and we will notify you when new sessions are added!
Please note: All class registrations are final; please view our Cancellation Policy and Covid-19 Policy for more information. By registering for this workshop, you are agreeing to abide by these policies. Thank you for supporting our small business!
Skill level requirement: this is NOT a learn to sew class; you must have sewn in the recent past, and be confident operating a sewing machine independently. See below for more info. If you're a total beginner, check out our Sewing 101 Workshops.
If you want to learn to sew from a pattern, gain an understanding of garment construction, and begin sewing your own clothes, this is the workshop for you!
In this workshop, you'll sew a super-cute pair of Free Range Slacks, custom made to fit your body. These slacks feature an elastic waist (a must for pants these days, amirite?), front pockets, and either a tapered or wide leg-- you choose! You'll leave this class with the skills and confidence to tackle more garment sewing on your own. This pattern is available in two size ranges: 00-20 and Curvy Fit 18-34!
This workshop will be a hybrid virtual/ in-person format. All of the sewing will take place at our shop-- no worries if you don't have a machine at home or if you can't make it to the live virtual session! Here's how the schedule will look:
Friday 1/27 at 6:30pm-7:30pm - This will be a virtual info session taking place on Zoom. Your instructor will discuss pattern details and demonstrate how to cut your fabric. Your homework will be to complete all of the fabric cutting/ prep before we meet in person. The Zoom will be recorded, so you'll be able to access the video if you can't attend live or if you need to reference it while you're cutting fabric!
Sunday 1/29 at 11am-4pm - This part will take place at our Greenpoint shop! During this time we will cover all of the bag construction. All fabric must be cut and ready to sew upon arrival.
You'll learn how to:
- Measure the body accurately to create a perfect fit
- Work from a commercial pattern, including size selection, deciphering instructions, cutting from tissue paper pattern pieces, and more
- Understand garment sewing basics such as proper fabric prep, pinning, cutting, ironing and trouble shooting
- Become familiar with sewing jargon commonly found in commercial patterns
- Cut fabric and assemble a garment the right way
- Sew a hem, wide elastic waistband, front slash pockets, a tapered or straight leg (you choose!)
- Please note: Depending on sewing speed, we may not be able to construct the back pocket during class, but you'll be well-prepared to do so on your own!
Materials + Tools Required
**Save 10% on supplies purchased from Brooklyn Craft Company with code FREERANGE10**
- 1.75-4.75 yards (depending on size and fabric width. See both size charts above!) light or medium weight woven fabric like linen/linen blends, chambray, light to mid-weight denim, etc! See size chart above to determine yardage needed-- please be sure to check measurements! Be sure to wash, dry, and press your fabric before class!
- 1.5" elastic (enough for your waist size plus 1/2")
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- Straight pins
- Fabric scissors
Skill requirements: This is a beginner garment sewing workshop; you do not need to have any experience sewing clothing, but you must have basic machine-sewing skills. Our Sewing 101 class (or equivalent) is a prerequisite for this class. (You can register for one of our upcoming Sewing 101 workshops here.) If you're unsure whether you have enough sewing experience for this class, please send a brief email summarizing your sewing experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Date & Time: Select date above
Location: Brooklyn Craft Company, 165 Greenpoint Avenue (here’s where we’re located)
Cost: $145 instruction, and use of our BERNINA sewing machines + tools. Does NOT include pattern, fabric or notions-- All required materials will be available for purchase during class at a 10% discount.
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Diana Rodgers is a teaching artist living in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Since earning a BFA in apparel design from FIT, she has enjoyed a varied creative career including fashion designer, entrepreneur, and teacher. The ‘common thread’ among all these endeavors is sewing. Diana currently teaches weekly sewing classes to children and adults, covering everything from clothing to accessories to quilts. When not teaching, she creates sewn illustrations (or appliqué), inspired by all the things that make her feel nostalgic. You can check 'em out on Instagram @wonderthreads