GREENPOINT WORKSHOP: Natural Bundle Dye Workshop
This workshop will take place at our Greenpoint shop. Please read our policy for in-person workshops here. By registering for an in-person workshop, you are agreeing to abide by the safety measures and cancelation policy in place. Thank you for your support as we navigate these changes!
Learn the beautiful art of natural bundle dyeing! In this two-hour workshop led by instructor Molly George, you'll gain an understanding of how to work with natural dyes as you explore the process of bundle dyeing.
This workshop will cover:
- Introduction to natural dye plants and mordants
- Introduction to protein-based and cellulose-based fibers
- Overview of natural dyestuffs including onion skins, cochineal, turmeric, avocado skins, fresh and dried flowers, black tea, eucalyptus, and more
- How to bundle dye on silk and cotton, including how to prepare the fabric, place the dyestuffs, bundle the fabric, and steam the fabric on a stovetop.
- Each student will leave with two dyed pieces (a cotton dish towel and a silk scarf), and the know-how to design and create more pieces on your own.
Class fee includes instruction and all the necessary supplies and materials (including dyestuffs and fabrics). No prior experience necessary - beginners welcome!
DATE: select above
CLASS LENGTH: 2 hours
LOCATION: Brooklyn Craft Company (here’s where we’re located)
COST: $75 includes all materials and tools necessary to make a cotton and silk dyed piece.
Receive 10% off all store purchases on the day of your class!
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
Meet Your Instructor
Molly George is a textile artist and teacher living in Brooklyn, NY. She is a graduate of Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD), a practicing artist, and a youth and adult teacher in the textile arts. In March of this year Molly studied natural dyeing in a Natural Pigments artist residency with Arquetopia in Oaxaca, Mexico, and she is excited to share the knowledge she learned there with our students.