GREENPOINT WORKSHOP: Intro to Garment Sewing - Free Range Slacks (Weekend )
If you want to learn to sew from a pattern, gain an understanding of garment construction, and begin sewing your own clothes, this is the workshop for you!
In this two-part weekend workshop, you'll sew a super-cute pair of Free Range Slacks, custom made to fit your body. These slacks feature an elastic waist (a must for pants these days, amirite?), front pockets, and either a tapered or wide leg-- you choose! You'll leave this class with the skills and confidence to tackle more garment sewing on your own.
You'll learn how to:
- Measure the body accurately to create a perfect fit
- Work from a commercial pattern, including size selection, deciphering instructions, cutting from tissue paper pattern pieces, and more
- Understand garment sewing basics such as proper fabric prep, pinning, cutting, ironing and trouble shooting
- Become familiar with sewing jargon commonly found in commercial patterns
- Cut fabric and assemble a garment the right way
- Sew a hem, wide elastic waistband, front slash pockets, a tapered or straight leg (you choose!)
- Please note: Depending on sewing speed, we may not be able to construct the back pocket during class, but you'll be well-prepared to do so on your own!
The pants pattern will be provided in class and is yours to keep! The pattern is available in two size ranges: 00-20 and Curvy Fit 18-34. Using the size charts in photos above, please determine the size range that best suits you. When you register, please leave a note indicating your decision so we can reserve the correct pattern for you. Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions!
This is a two-part workshop taking place on the following dates:
Saturday 6/25 at 3pm-6pm and Sunday 6/26 at 11am-4pm
Skill requirements: This is a beginner garment sewing workshop; you do not need to have any experience sewing clothing, but you must have basic machine-sewing skills. Our Sewing 101 class (or equivalent) is a prerequisite for this class. (You can register for one of our upcoming Sewing 101 workshops here.) If you're unsure whether you have enough sewing experience for this class, please send a brief email summarizing your sewing experience to email@example.com.
Date & Time: Select date above (Date selected is the first of two parts)
Location: Brooklyn Craft Company, 165 Greenpoint Avenue (here’s where we’re located)
Cost: $165 includes sewing pattern, 8 hours of instruction, and use of our BERNINA sewing machines + tools. Does NOT include fabric or notions-- All required materials will be available for purchase during class at a 10% discount.
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Diana Rodgers is a teaching artist living in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Since earning a BFA in apparel design from FIT, she has enjoyed a varied creative career including fashion designer, entrepreneur, and teacher. The ‘common thread’ among all these endeavors is sewing. Diana currently teaches weekly sewing classes to children and adults, covering everything from clothing to accessories to quilts. When not teaching, she creates sewn illustrations (or appliqué), inspired by all the things that make her feel nostalgic. You can check 'em out on Instagram @wonderthreads