VIRTUAL WORKSHOP: Sew a Zadie Jumpsuit
Join us to sew a Zadie Jumpsuit-- a relaxed and easy to wear one piece that comes with the option of wide 3/4 length sleeves, or sleeveless with a dropped shoulder. It wraps around the body and fastens with a tie so there is no need for buttons or a zip - making it quick and to easy sew, and not fussy to wear!
In this advanced-beginner, three-evening workshop, you'll learn to sew from a printed PDF pattern, AND you'll sew an amazing jumpsuit, custom made to fit your body. You'll leave this class with the skills and confidence to tackle more garment sewing on your own.
You'll learn how to:
- Print and assemble a PDF pattern at home
- Measure the body accurately to create a perfect fit
- Work from a commercial pattern, including size selection, deciphering instructions, cutting from paper pattern pieces, and more
- Understand garment sewing basics such as proper fabric prep, pinning, cutting, ironing and troubleshooting
- Become familiar with sewing jargon commonly found in commercial patterns
- Make bias binding for a neckline
- Create a slant trouser pocket
- Sew a fabric tie for a belt
This is a three-evening workshop being held on the following dates:
Friday 9/18 at 6pm-7pm - The instructor will demo how to properly print and assemble the PDF pattern, plus how to cut the fabric. Students are to complete these steps at their own pace between the first and second session.
Saturday 9/19 at 4pm-6pm - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
Sunday 9/20 at 4pm-6pm - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
**There will be homework to complete between sessions!**
Please note this is not a learn-to-sew class. Students must have basic machine sewing knowledge and be comfortable using a sewing machine.
Materials + Tools Required
- Zadie Jumpsuit pattern by Paper Theory Patterns -- Purchase the PDF here!
- 2.5 - 5 yards (depending on size, fabric width, and sleeve length selected) medium weight woven fabric like cotton or linen, or even a heartier fabric like a lighter weight denim or drill! See size charts above to determine yardage needed (UK Size 6-28 available; be sure to check body measurements)
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- Fabric scissors
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine -- please make sure your machine is in good working order before registering for this workshop :)
- Iron and ironing board or mat
Date & Time: Three evenings-- see dates above! Please note: the date you select a the top of the page is the first of three parts for this workshop; Students must be available to attend all sessions.
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Details will be emailed after you register
Max # of students: 8
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Diana Rodgers is a teaching artist living in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Since earning a BFA in apparel design from FIT, she has enjoyed a varied creative career including fashion designer, entrepreneur, and teacher. The ‘common thread’ among all these endeavors is sewing. Diana currently teaches weekly sewing classes to children and adults, covering everything from clothing to accessories to quilts. When not teaching, she creates sewn illustrations (or appliqué), inspired by all the things that make her feel nostalgic. You can check 'em out on Instagram @wonderthreads