VIRTUAL WORKSHOP: Sew a Fringe Top or Dress
Interested in attending but no sessions available that fit your schedule? Please fill out this form and we will notify you when new sessions are added!
Join us to sew a Fringe Blouse or Dress!
In this advanced-beginner, three-evening workshop, you'll build your sewing skills AND you'll sew an amazing blouse or dress, custom made to fit your body. You'll leave this class with the skills and confidence to tackle more garment sewing on your own. We will be working with View A-- a version including a button-up (or faux button-up!) front, elbow sleeve, and an optional sleeve tab. Check out #fringedresspattern for inspo!
You'll learn how to:
- Print and assemble a PDF pattern at home
- Measure the body accurately to create a perfect fit
- Work from a commercial pattern, including size selection, deciphering instructions, cutting from paper pattern pieces, and more
- Understand garment sewing basics such as proper fabric prep, pinning, cutting, ironing and troubleshooting
- Become familiar with sewing jargon commonly found in commercial patterns
- Sew a button-up front (or faux button-up!)
- Create a sleeve tab
- Sew bust and back darts
- Sew a gathered waitline
- Sew in-seam pockets (dress version)
This is a three-evening workshop being held on the following dates:
Thursday 10/29 at 6pm-7pm - The instructor will demo how to properly print and assemble the PDF pattern, plus how to cut the fabric. Students are to complete these steps at their own pace between the first and second session.
Saturday 10/31 at 4pm-6:30pm - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
Sunday 11/1 at 4pm-6:30pm - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
**There will be homework to complete between sessions!**
Please note this is not a learn-to-sew class. Students must have basic machine sewing knowledge and be comfortable using a sewing machine.
Materials + Tools Required
- Fringe Blouse or Dress pattern by Chalk and Notch -- Purchase the PDF here!
- 1.5 - 3.5 yards (depending on size, fabric width, and dress/top length selected, see chart above) light to medium weight woven fabric with a nice drape like linen, linen blends, rayon, cotton lawn, cotton shirting, chambray, etc.
- Fusible interfacing
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- 5 buttons -- 1/2 inch
- Fabric scissors
- Straight pins
- Safety Pin
- Optional: Turning tool
- Sewing machine -- please make sure your machine is in good working order before registering for this workshop :)
- Iron and ironing board or mat
Date & Time: Three evenings-- see dates above! Please note: the date you select a the top of the page is the first of three parts for this workshop; Students must be available to attend all sessions.
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Details will be emailed after you register
Max # of students: 8
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Diana Rodgers is a teaching artist living in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Since earning a BFA in apparel design from FIT, she has enjoyed a varied creative career including fashion designer, entrepreneur, and teacher. The ‘common thread’ among all these endeavors is sewing. Diana currently teaches weekly sewing classes to children and adults, covering everything from clothing to accessories to quilts. When not teaching, she creates sewn illustrations (or appliqué), inspired by all the things that make her feel nostalgic. You can check 'em out on Instagram @wonderthreads