VIRTUAL 5-WEEK SEWING COURSE: Button-Down Shirt
Learn to sew the perfect button-down shirt in this virtual sewing course!
Under the guidance of teacher Christine Haynes in this 5-week course, you'll learn the basics of shirt construction as you master several garment-sewing essentials.
In this class, we'll work with the Archer Pattern from Grainline Studios. You'll learn how to:
- Measure the body accurately to create a perfect fit
- Work from a commercial pattern, including size selection, deciphering instructions, cutting from paper pattern pieces, and more
- Understand garment sewing basics such as proper fabric prep, pinning, cutting, ironing and troubleshooting
- Become familiar with sewing jargon commonly found in commercial patterns
- How to construct a collar, cuffs, button placket, and buttonholes
- How to set sleeves
This is a 5-week course being held on the following dates:
Tuesday 2/15 at 6:30pm-7:30pm EST - The is an introductory info session to kick off the workshop and discuss sizing, fabric prep, pattern cutting, etc. Students will be tasked with washing/pressing their fabric + cutting out their patterns and fabric at their own pace before the first session of sewing. For the remainder of the course, students will sew along with the instructor as they demonstrate each step. Homework may be assigned between sessions.
Tuesday 2/22 at 6:30pm-8:30pm EST
Tuesday 3/1 at 6:30pm-8:30pm EST
Tuesday 3/8 at 6:30pm-8:30pm EST
Tuesday 3/15 at 6:30pm-8:30pm EST
**Each session will be recorded and access links are sent by 11:30am EST the morning following class. If you can't make a session, no sweat! Use the recording to catch up.**
Please note this is not a learn-to-sew class. Students must have basic machine sewing knowledge and be very comfortable using a sewing machine. Previous garment sewing experience is highly recommended to enjoy success in this workshop.
Materials + Tools Required
**Save 10% on workshop supplies purchased at Brooklyn Craft Co. with code ARCHER10**
- Archer Pattern by Grainline Studio -- Purchase the printed pattern here!
- 2.5 - 2.75 yards (depending on size and fabric width-- see chart above) light to medium weight fabrics ranging from silk charmeuse, crepe de chine, cotton shirting, poplin, chambray, sateen, lightweight to midweight denim, linen, linen blends, and flannel. Please note: We will not be covering pattern matching in this workshop, so plaids and ginghams are not recommended (unless you don't mind skipping the pattern matching!)
- 9 buttons - 3/8" to 1/2" size
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- Straight pins
- 1 yard of Fusible interfacing
- Sewing machine -- please make sure your machine is in good working order before registering for this workshop :)
- Iron and ironing board or mat
Date & Time: Five evenings-- see dates above! Please note: the date you select a the top of the page is the first of five parts for this workshop.
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Details will be emailed after you register
Max # of students: 8
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Christine Haynes is a Brooklyn-based sewing author, teacher, and pattern designer. Christine grew up in Saugatuck, MI, a small beach community on the southwestern coast of Lake Michigan, where the arts were part of her daily life. She attended the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts in the department of Film, Video, and New Media.
Her mother taught her to sew around the age of 10, and it grew from a personal hobby, until it became her main artistic outlet. After selling ready-to-wear garments for many years, Christine turned her focus to teaching others to experience the joy of making clothing for themselves through her patterns, books, and workshops.