VIRTUAL WORKSHOP: Sewing 101 (Make a Skirt)
For total beginners--if you've been wanting to learn to sew or you haven't touched a machine in years, this is the virtual class for you! In just one evening we'll walk you through the basics; you'll leave class with a finished elastic-waisted skirt. Here's what we'll cover:
- Basic intro to a sewing machine, including how to sew a straight seam
- How to measure the body properly for garment fitting
- How to cut fabric accurately
- Pinning and sewing seams
- Making an elastic waistband and hem
This is a two-part workshop taking place on the following dates:
Saturday 1/30 and Sunday 1/31 at 4pm-6pm EST
Saturday 3/6 and Sunday 3/7 at 4pm-6pm EST
This workshop is suitable for total sewing newbies! The only requirement is that you know how to thread your sewing machine. Instructions can be found in your sewing machine manual. Most manuals can be found online if you no longer have the physical copy!
Materials + Tools Required
**Save 10% on supplies purchased from Brooklyn Craft Company with code SEWING101**
- 2 yards medium-weight, woven fabric like quilting cotton, linen, chambray, etc. No stretchy knit fabrics! If you're unsure if your desired fabric will work for this project, feel free to shoot us an email!
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- 1" wide elastic, enough for your waist measurement
- Straight pins
- 2 large safety pins
- Yard stick or other long ruler or straight edge for mapping out/drawing the skirt pattern onto fabric
- Tailor's chalk or chalk pencil in a color that will show on your fabric. Regular pencils can work if that's what you have on hand!
- Sewing machine -- please make sure your machine is in good working order before registering for this workshop :)
- Iron and ironing board or mat
Date & Time: See dates above! Please note: the date you select a the top of the page is the first of two parts for this workshop.
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Details will be emailed after you register
Max # of students: 8
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Diana Rodgers is a teaching artist living in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Since earning a BFA in apparel design from FIT, she has enjoyed a varied creative career including fashion designer, entrepreneur, and teacher. The ‘common thread’ among all these endeavors is sewing. Diana currently teaches weekly sewing classes to children and adults, covering everything from clothing to accessories to quilts. When not teaching, she creates sewn illustrations (or appliqué), inspired by all the things that make her feel nostalgic. You can check 'em out on Instagram @wonderthreads