VIRTUAL WORKSHOP: Sew a Zip-Up Halifax Hoodie
Interested in attending but no sessions available that fit your schedule? Please fill out this form and we will notify you when new sessions are added!
Build your sewing skills and make a classic wardrobe staple: a zip-up hoodie!
In this advanced-beginner virtual workshop, you'll learn how to:
- Print and assemble a PDF pattern at home
- Follow best practices for using a commercial sewing pattern, including size selection, cutting from pattern pieces, and more
- Sew heavier weight stretchy knit fabrics on a standard home sewing machine (not a serger)
- Add a hood to a garment
- Attach kangaroo pockets
- Install a separating zipper in a garment
- Insert a drawstring
This is a three-evening workshop being held on the following dates:
Monday 3/7 at 6:30-7:30pm EST- The instructor will demo how to properly print and assemble the PDF pattern, plus how to cut the fabric. Students are to complete these steps at their own pace between the first and second session.
Wednesday 3/9 at 6:30-9pm EST- Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
Friday 3/11 at 6:30-9pm EST - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
(Opening for registration 3/10 at 4pm EST)
Wednesday 3/30 at 6:30-7:30pm EST- The instructor will demo how to properly print and assemble the PDF pattern, plus how to cut the fabric. Students are to complete these steps at their own pace between the first and second session.
Saturday 4/2 at 4-6:30pm EST- Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
Sunday 4/3 at 4-6:30pm EST - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
Please note this is not a learn-to-sew class. Students must have basic machine sewing knowledge, be comfortable using a sewing machine, and have sewn a few projects in the recent past.
Materials + Tools Required
**Save 10% on supplies purchased from Brooklyn Craft Company with code HALIFAX10**
- Halifax Hoodie pattern by Hey June Handmade -- Purchase the PDF here! Please note: We will be sewing View C only. If you prefer not print/ assemble your pattern at home, we highly recommend our friends Brooklyn Motif for wide format pattern printing!
- 2 yards fleece, sweatshirt fleece, interlock/ponte, french terry, or other heavier weight knit fabrics at least 55" wide. See size charts above to determine yardage needed (US Size XS-2X available)
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- 1 separating zipper (See size chart for required zipper length)
- 2 yards of 1-inch twill tape
- Fusible interfacing (only a 2"x 2" scrap is needed)
- 2 yards of 1/2-inch twill tape or other cording for the drawstring
- Stretch or ballpoint sewing machine needles
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine -- please make sure your machine is in good working order before registering for this workshop :)
- Iron and ironing board or mat
Date & Time: Three evenings-- see dates above! Please note: the date you select a the top of the page is the first of three parts for this workshop.
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Meeting info will be emailed 24-48 hours head of the workshop.
Max # of students: 8
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Christine Haynes is a Brooklyn-based sewing author, teacher, and pattern designer. Christine grew up in Saugatuck, MI, a small beach community on the southwestern coast of Lake Michigan, where the arts were part of her daily life. She attended the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts in the department of Film, Video, and New Media.
Her mother taught her to sew around the age of 10, and it grew from a personal hobby, until it became her main artistic outlet. After selling ready-to-wear garments for many years, Christine turned her focus to teaching others to experience the joy of making clothing for themselves through her patterns, books, and workshops.
Christine can be found at www.christinehaynes.com and on Instagram at @christinehaynes.