VIRTUAL WORKSHOP: Sew a Blackwood Cardigan
Interested in attending but no sessions available that fit your schedule? Please fill out this form and we will notify you when new sessions are added!
Learn to sew a cozy and versatile cardigan in this virtual workshop led by Christine Haynes!
In this three-evening workshop, you'll make a Helen's Closet Blackwood Cardigan. Designed with layering in mind, this wardrobe staple has minimal excess fabric in the front and a close fit around the neck and shoulders. Its fitted shape and extra long sleeves make it perfect for wearing under jackets and vests, while also looking stylish over tank tops and dresses. View B ends at the hips, while View A extends down to the mid-thigh and includes patch pockets at hand level. The Blackwood is intended to be worn open and is not designed to close at the front.
In this workshop, you'll learn how to:
- Measure the body accurately to create a perfect fit
- How to print and assemble a PDF pattern at home
- Work from a commercial pattern, including size selection, deciphering instructions, cutting from paper pattern pieces, and more
- Best practices for sewing stretchy knits
- How to sew arm cuffs and optional patch pockets.
This is a three-evening workshop being held on the following dates:
Thursday 3/3 at 6:30pm-7:30pm EST - The instructor will demo how to properly print and assemble the PDF pattern, plus how to cut the fabric. Students are to complete these steps at their own pace between the first and second session.
Saturday 3/5 at 4pm-6:30pm EST - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
Sunday 3/6 at 4pm-6:30pm EST - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
**There may be homework between sessions 2 and 3!**
Please note this is not a learn-to-sew class. This workshop is suitable for advanced beginners who are comfortable using their sewing machine and have completed a few projects in the recent past.
Materials + Tools Required
**Save 10% on supplies purchased at Brooklyn Craft Co with code BLACKWOOD10**
- Blackwood Cardigan Pattern -- Purchase PDF pattern size 0-34 here!
- 1.7 - 3 yards (depending on size and fabric width. See size charts above!) light to medium weight knit fabrics with at least 40% stretch widthwise and 20% stretch lengthwise. Try a cozy sweater knit or french terry for a warm layer or make it in jersey for a lightweight cover-up. like cotton interlock, T-shirt jersey, and merino wool jersey
- 1/4"-3/8" wide twill tape for stabilizing the shoulder seams
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- Stretch machine sewing needles
- Straight pins
- Fabric scissors or rotary cutter/mat
- Sewing machine -- please make sure your machine is in good working order before registering for this workshop.
- Iron and ironing board or mat
Date & Time: Three evenings-- see dates above! Please note: the date you select a the top of the page is the first of three parts for this workshop.
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Details will be emailed within 24-48 hours before the workshop begins.
Max # of students: 8
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Christine Haynes is a Brooklyn-based sewing author, teacher, and pattern designer. Christine grew up in Saugatuck, MI, a small beach community on the southwestern coast of Lake Michigan, where the arts were part of her daily life. She attended the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts in the department of Film, Video, and New Media.
Her mother taught her to sew around the age of 10, and it grew from a personal hobby, until it became her main artistic outlet. After selling ready-to-wear garments for many years, Christine turned her focus to teaching others to experience the joy of making clothing for themselves through her patterns, books, and workshops.