VIRTUAL WORKSHOP: Sew Stretchy Knits - Rumi Tank
Build your sewing skills! Join us for this three-evening virtual workshop and learn to sew stretchy knit fabrics. It will open up a world of possibilities for making your own stretchy garments, from t-shirts and leggings to tunics and dresses!
In this confident-beginner, you'll learn the basics of sewing knits while you whip up a Rumi Tank (top or dress!), let by pattern designer Christine Haynes!
You'll learn how to:
- Print and assemble a PDF pattern at home
- Measure the body accurately to create a perfect fit
- How to sew stretchy knit fabrics on a standard home sewing machine (not a serger)
- Understand stretchy sewing basics such as proper fabric prep, pinning, cutting, ironing, thread and needle choice, machine settings, and trouble shooting
- Work from a commercial pattern, including size selection, deciphering instructions, cutting from paper pattern pieces, and more
- Become familiar with sewing jargon commonly found in commercial patterns
- How to sew edge stitching, topstitching, and how to hem
This is a three-evening workshop being held on the following dates:
Wednesday 7/29 at 6pm-7pm - The instructor will demo how to properly print and assemble the PDF pattern, plus how to cut the fabric. Students are to complete these steps at their own pace between the first and second session.
Saturday 8/1 at 4pm-6pm - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
Sunday 8/1 at 4pm-6pm - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
Please note this is not a learn-to-sew class. Students must have basic machine sewing knowledge and be comfortable using a sewing machine.
Materials + Tools Required
- Rumi Tank pattern by Christine Haynes -- Purchase the PDF here!
- 1 - 3.25 yards (depending on size, view selected, and fabric width) light or medium weight stretchy knit fabric. See size chart above to determine yardage needed. Be sure to pre-wash your fabric!
- Stretch Machine Needles
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- Straight pins
- Fabric scissors OR rotary cutter/cutting mat
- Sewing machine -- please make sure your machine is in good working order before registering for this workshop :)
- Iron and ironing board or mat
- Tape for pattern assembly
Date & Time: Three evenings-- see dates above! Please note: the date you select a the top of the page is the first of three parts for this workshop; Students must be available to attend all sessions.
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Details will be emailed after you register
Max # of students: 8
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Christine Haynes is a Brooklyn-based sewing author, teacher, and pattern designer. Christine grew up in Saugatuck, MI, a small beach community on the southwestern coast of Lake Michigan, where the arts were part of her daily life. She attended the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts in the department of Film, Video, and New Media.
Her mother taught her to sew around the age of 10, and it grew from a personal hobby, until it became her main artistic outlet. After selling ready-to-wear garments for many years, Christine turned her focus to teaching others to experience the joy of making clothing for themselves through her patterns, books, and workshops.