VIRTUAL SEWING COURSE: Persephone Pants
Interested in attending but no sessions available that fit your schedule? Please fill out this form and we will notify you when new sessions are added!
Step up your sewing skills and learn to make a pair of zip-fly Persephone Pants in this 6-part sewing workshop!
The Persephone Pants pattern by Anna Allen Clothing is based on photographs of men’s 1920s-’40s US Navy sailor pants. These high-waist pants are unique in that they do not contain side seams-- the front and back pant legs are cut from one piece!
This workshop will (virtually!) meet twice per week for three consecutive weeks. You'll learn how to:
- Print and assemble a PDF pattern at home
- Measure the body accurately to create a perfect fit
- Work from a commercial pattern, including size selection, deciphering instructions, cutting from paper pattern pieces, and more
- Sew front waist in-seam pockets and belt loops
- Sew back waist shaping darts for a good fit
- Sew a zipper fly (Please note: We will not be covering the button-fly in this workshop! The Anna Allen Zipper Expansion is a required purchase for this workshop.)
This is a 6-part course being held on the following dates:
Saturday 7/9 at 12pm-1pm EST - The is an introductory info session to kick off the workshop and discuss sizing, fabric prep, pattern cutting, etc. Students will be tasked with washing/pressing their fabric + cutting out their patterns and fabric at their own pace before the first session of sewing. For the remainder of the course, students will sew along with the instructor as they demonstrate each step. Homework may be assigned between sessions.
Monday 7/11 at 6:30-8:30pm EST
Wednesday 7/13 at 6:30-8:30pm EST
Friday 7/15 at 6:30-8:30pm EST
Monday 7/18 at 6:30-8:30pm EST
Wednesday 7/20 at 6:30-8:30pm EST
**Each session will be recorded and access links are sent by 11:30am EST the morning following class. If you can't make a session, no sweat! Use the recording to catch up.**
Monday 5/23 at 6:30-7:30pm EST - The is an introductory info session to kick off the workshop and discuss sizing, fabric prep, pattern cutting, etc. Students will be tasked with washing/pressing their fabric + cutting out their patterns and fabric at their own pace before the first session of sewing. For the remainder of the course, students will sew along with the instructor as they demonstrate each step. Homework may be assigned between sessions.
Thursday 5/26 at 6:30-8:30pm EST
Tuesday 5/31 at 6:30-8:30pm EST
Thursday 6/2 at 6:30-8:30pm EST
Tuesday 6/7 at 6:30-8:30pm EST
Thursday 6/9 at 6:30-8:30pm EST
Please note this is an intermediate-level workshop. This workshop is suitable for advanced beginners/intermediate students who are comfortable using their sewing machine and have completed a garment projects in the recent past.
Materials + Tools Required
**Save 10% on supplies purchased at Brooklyn Craft Co with code PERSEPHONE10**
- Persephone Pants PDF Pattern. If you prefer not print/ assemble your pattern at home, we usually recommend our friends Brooklyn Motif for wide format pattern printing, but they are now temporarily closed. In the meantime, we recommend using PDF Plotting.
Zipper Expansion Pattern -- Please be sure to purchase as we will not be covering the button fly in this workshop!
- 1.75 - 3 yards (depending on size and fabric width. See size chart above!) medium-heavy weight non-stretch woven fabric like canvas, twill, denim, etc. We strongly recommend using muslin to test fit for this pattern!
- Waistband button-- 3/4-inch or 7/8-inch
- 6-8-inch zipper for fly. (Reminder: We will be covering the zipper fly version of these pants! We will not be covering the button fly.)
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- Straight pins
- Fabric scissors or rotary cutter/mat
- Sewing machine -- please make sure your machine is in good working order before registering for this workshop.
- Iron and ironing board or mat
Date & Time: Six parts-- see dates above! Please note: the date you select a the top of the page is the first of six parts for this workshop.
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Details will be emailed within 24-48 hours before the workshop begins.
Max # of students: 8
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Christine Haynes is a Brooklyn-based sewing author, teacher, and pattern designer. Christine grew up in Saugatuck, MI, a small beach community on the southwestern coast of Lake Michigan, where the arts were part of her daily life. She attended the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts in the department of Film, Video, and New Media.
Her mother taught her to sew around the age of 10, and it grew from a personal hobby, until it became her main artistic outlet. After selling ready-to-wear garments for many years, Christine turned her focus to teaching others to experience the joy of making clothing for themselves through her patterns, books, and workshops.