VIRTUAL WORKSHOP: Sew an Array Dress
Join us to sew an Array Dress from Papercut Patterns: A statement and wardrobe essential that offers multiple variations to suit your personal style! Choose between a puffy bell sleeve with an elasticated hem, or a wide flared sleeve. Make your dress with the straight-cut body, or add the extra-long wrap-around ties to cinch in at your waist.
In this confident-beginner, three-evening workshop, you'll learn to sew from a printed pattern, AND you'll sew an amazing Array Top or Dress, custom made to fit your body. You'll leave this class with the skills and confidence to tackle more garment sewing on your own.
You'll learn how to:
- Measure the body accurately to create a perfect fit
- Work from a commercial pattern, including size selection, deciphering instructions, cutting from paper pattern pieces, and more
- Understand garment sewing basics such as proper fabric prep, pinning, cutting, ironing and troubleshooting
- Become familiar with sewing jargon commonly found in commercial patterns
- How to sew puffy bell sleeves, wide flare sleeves, wrap around ties.
This is a three-evening workshop being held on the following dates:
Monday 8/9 at 6:30pm-7:30pm EST- The instructor will demo how to properly cut your pattern & fabric. Students are to complete these steps at their own pace between the first and second session.
Wednesday 8/11 at 6:30pm-8:30pm EST - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
Thursday 8/12 at 6:30pm-8:30pm EST - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
**There may be homework between part 2 & 3 depending on workshop pace!**
Please note this is not a learn-to-sew class. Students must have basic machine sewing knowledge and be comfortable using a sewing machine.
Materials + Tools Required
**Save 10% on workshop supplies purchased at Brooklyn Craft Co. with code ARRAYDRESS10**
- Array Dress by Papercut Patterns -- Purchase here!
- 2 - 3 yards (depending on size, dress version selected, and fabric width) light or medium weight woven or fabrics -- think linen, cotton, silk, blends, etc. See size chart above to determine yardage needed. Please note: we will not be covering how to use knits for the project.
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- Straight pins
- 1 - 1 1/2 yard of 1/4" wide elastic (depending on version made)
- Sewing machine -- please make sure your machine is in good working order before registering for this workshop :)
- Iron and ironing board or mat
Date & Time: Three evenings-- see dates above! Please note: the date you select a the top of the page is the first of three parts for this workshop.
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Details will be emailed 24-48 hours before class begins.
Max # of students: 8
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Christine Haynes is a Brooklyn-based sewing author, teacher, and pattern designer. Christine grew up in Saugatuck, MI, a small beach community on the southwestern coast of Lake Michigan, where the arts were part of her daily life. She attended the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts in the department of Film, Video, and New Media.
Her mother taught her to sew around the age of 10, and it grew from a personal hobby, until it became her main artistic outlet. After selling ready-to-wear garments for many years, Christine turned her focus to teaching others to experience the joy of making clothing for themselves through her patterns, books, and workshops.