VIRTUAL WORKSHOP: Sew a Nora Top
Interested in attending but no sessions available that fit your schedule? Please fill out this form and we will notify you when new sessions are added!
Learn to work with stretchy knits while you make a super cute Nora Top by Tilly and the Buttons!
This modern style top has a boxy, oversized shape with drop shoulders and wide sleeves. Incredibly versatile, make it in a variety of fabrics – from jersey to light sweater knits – to see you through the year in style.
Choose from slouchy high neck or narrow neckband; short, elbow-length or extra-long sleeves; with a cropped and stepped deep hem with side splits!
You'll learn how to:
- Print and assemble a PDF pattern at home
- Measure the body accurately to create a perfect fit
- Work from a commercial pattern, including size selection, deciphering instructions, cutting from paper pattern pieces, and more
- Sew with knit fabric
- Sew either a slouchy high neck or narrow neckband
- Sew a cropped and stepped hemline with side slits
- **Please note: we will be covering the stepped/slits hemline only. We will not be covering the longline hem in this workshop.**
This is a three-part workshop being held on the following dates:
(Opening for registration 3/10 at 4pm EST)
Wednesday 5/11 at 6:30pm-7:30pm EST - The instructor will demo how to properly print and assemble the PDF pattern, plus how to cut the fabric. Students are to complete these steps at their own pace between the first and second session.
Saturday 5/14 at 12-2:30pm EST - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
Sunday 5/15 at 12-2:30pm EST - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
**There may be homework between sessions 2 and 3!**
Please note this is not a learn-to-sew class. This workshop is suitable for advanced beginners who are comfortable using their sewing machine and have completed a few projects.
Materials + Tools Required
**Save 10% on supplies purchased at Brooklyn Craft Co with code NORA10**
- Nora Top PDF Pattern -- Purchase here! If you prefer not print/ assemble your pattern at home, we highly recommend our friends Brooklyn Motif for wide format pattern printing!
- 1.5 - 2.75 yards (depending on size and fabric width. See size chart above!) Light to medium weight knit fabric with at least 10% crosswise stretch such as jersey, ponte, or sweater knits. Tip: Buy a little extra and pre-wash to allow to shrinkage before cutting.
- 3/8 yard of 1/4-inch satin ribbon or stay tape for stabilizing the shoulders
For optional drawstring: 1/4-inch wide cording & 2-inch x 1-inch piece of lightweight interfacing
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- Ballpoint machine sewing needles
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine -- please make sure your machine is in good working order before registering for this workshop.
- Iron and ironing board or mat
Date & Time: Three parts-- see dates above! Please note: the date you select a the top of the page is the first of three parts for this workshop.
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Details will be emailed within 24-48 hours before the workshop begins.
Max # of students: 8
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Christine Haynes is a Brooklyn-based sewing author, teacher, and pattern designer. Christine grew up in Saugatuck, MI, a small beach community on the southwestern coast of Lake Michigan, where the arts were part of her daily life. She attended the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts in the department of Film, Video, and New Media.
Her mother taught her to sew around the age of 10, and it grew from a personal hobby, until it became her main artistic outlet. After selling ready-to-wear garments for many years, Christine turned her focus to teaching others to experience the joy of making clothing for themselves through her patterns, books, and workshops.
Christine can be found at www.christinehaynes.com and on Instagram at @christinehaynes.