VIRTUAL WORKSHOP: Sew a Lotta Dress
Join us to make a Tilly and the Buttons Lotta, a swishy dress with a blousy bodice and flared skirt, cinched in with a narrow elasticated waistline. Choose between knee-length or midi-length skirt, with grown-on short sleeves or bracelet-length drop shoulder sleeves, with optional deep patch pockets!
In this three-evening workshop, you'll learn how to sew a stylish dress, including how to:
- Measure the body accurately to create a perfect fit
- Work from a commercial pattern, including size selection, deciphering instructions, cutting from paper pattern pieces, and more
- Understand garment sewing basics such as proper fabric prep, pinning, cutting, ironing and troubleshooting
- Sew an elastic waist, drop sleeves, patch pockets, & more
This is a three-evening workshop taking place on the following dates:
Thursday 2/18 at 6:30pm-7:30pm EST - The instructor will demo how to cut out pattern pieces and fabric. Students are to complete these steps at their own pace between the first and second session.
Saturday 2/20 at 4pm-6pm EST- Students will sew along with the instructor during this session. There may be sewing homework to complete before the next session.
Sunday 2/21 at 4pm-6pm EST - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session. Some steps may be finished after class at your own pace-- you will receive a recording of the workshop to reference as needed.
Suitable for confident beginners. Please note this is not a learn-to-sew class. Students must have basic machine sewing knowledge and be comfortable using a sewing machine.
Materials + Tools Required
**Save 10% on supplies purchased from Brooklyn Craft Company with code LOTTA10**
- Lotta Dress Pattern - Purchase here!
- 2.75 - 3.25 yd (depending on size, version and fabric width-- see size chart above in photos) Light- to medium-weight drapey fabrics such as chambray, rayon, etc. The short sleeve version can also be made in less drapey fabrics such as linen, cotton, and seersucker. Please note: while this pattern can be sewn with knit fabric, we will be using wovens only for this workshop)
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- Your waist measurement in 3/8" elastic
- 1/4 yard fusible interfacing
- 2 safety pins (must fit through a 5/8" channel)
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine -- please make sure your machine is in good working order before registering for this workshop :)
- Iron and ironing board or mat
Date & Time: Three evenings-- see dates above! Please note: the date you select a the top of the page is the first of three parts for this workshop.
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Details will be emailed after you register
Max # of students: 8
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Diana Rodgers is a teaching artist living in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Since earning a BFA in apparel design from FIT, she has enjoyed a varied creative career including fashion designer, entrepreneur, and teacher. The ‘common thread’ among all these endeavors is sewing. Diana currently teaches weekly sewing classes to children and adults, covering everything from clothing to accessories to quilts. When not teaching, she creates sewn illustrations (or appliqué), inspired by all the things that make her feel nostalgic. You can check 'em out on Instagram @wonderthreads