VIRTUAL WORKSHOP: Sew a Lined Tote Bag
Learn to sew a handy lined tote bag! If you want to learn handbag construction basics, this virtual workshop is for you.
Here’s what we’ll cover:
- How to cut fabric accurately
- Pinning and sewing seams
- How to create a lining
- How to sew a squared, flat bag bottom
- How to sew on handbag straps
- How to sew a patch pocket
Skill requirements: This is a beginner level sewing workshop, but it is not a learn to sew workshop. You do not need to have any experience sewing bags, but you must have basic machine-sewing skills. If you're unsure whether you have enough sewing experience for this class, please email us at email@example.com and we will help you decide if this class is for you.
Materials + Tools Required
- Medium-weight woven, non-stretchy fabric. 1 yard total is enough to make the tote bag (to use different fabric for the lining and the exterior fabric, you will need 1/2 yard of each) . Quilting cotton works great, or you could opt for a heavier fabric like canvas or denim for the exterior fabric!
- 2 yards of webbing for the straps-- 1", 1.5", or 2" wide all work great!
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- Straight pins
- Fabric scissors
- Sewing machine -- Please make sure your machine is in good working order before registering for this workshop :)
- Printer access -- the pattern will be emailed to you ahead of class
- Tape to assemble the printed pattern
Date & Time: Select above
Class Length: Approximately 2.5 hours
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Details will be emailed after you register
Max # of students: 8
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
Meet Your Instructor
Diana Rodgers is a teaching artist living in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Since earning a BFA in apparel design from FIT, she has enjoyed a varied creative career including fashion designer, entrepreneur, and teacher. The ‘common thread’ among all these endeavors is sewing. Diana currently teaches weekly sewing classes to children and adults, covering everything from clothing to accessories to quilts. When not teaching, she creates sewn illustrations (or appliqué), inspired by all the things that make her feel nostalgic. You can check 'em out on Instagram @wonderthreads