VIRTUAL WORKSHOP: Sewing 101 (Make a Lined Tote)
Interested in attending but no sessions available that fit your schedule? Please fill out this form and we will notify you when new sessions are added!
For total beginners--if you've been wanting to learn to sew or you haven't touched a machine in years, this is the virtual class for you! In just two sessions we'll walk you through the basics; you'll leave class with a finished, lined tote bag. Here's what we'll cover:
- Basic intro to a sewing machine, including how to sew a straight seam
- How to cut fabric accurately
- Pinning and sewing seams, understanding seam allowance
- Creating a lining for a bag, and attaching straps
- Leave class with an understanding of sewing fundamentals, and the knowledge to tackle more sewing projects on your own
- How to create a lining
- How to sew a squared, flat bag bottom
- How to sew on handbag straps
- How to sew a patch pocket
Skill requirements: This workshop is suitable for total sewing newbies! The only requirement is that you know how to thread your sewing machine. Instructions can be found in your sewing machine manual. Most manuals can be found online if you no longer have the physical copy!
This is a two-part workshop taking place on the following dates:
Saturday 4/10 and Sunday 4/11 at 4pm-6pm EST
Materials + Tools Required
**Save 10% on supplies purchased from Brooklyn Craft Company with code SEWING101**
- Medium-weight woven, non-stretchy fabric. 1 yard total is enough to make the tote bag (to use different fabric for the lining and the exterior fabric, you will need 1/2 yard of each) . Quilting cotton works great, or you could opt for a heavier fabric like canvas or denim for the exterior fabric!
- 2 yards of webbing for the straps-- 1", 1.5", or 2" wide all work great!
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- Straight pins
- Fabric scissors
- Sewing machine -- Please make sure your machine is in good working order before registering for this workshop :)
- Printer access -- the pattern will be emailed to you ahead of class
- Tape to assemble the printed pattern
Date & Time: See dates above! Please note: the date you select a the top of the page is the first of two parts for this workshop.
Class Length: Approximately 2 hours per session/ 4 hours total
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Details will be emailed after you register
Max # of students: 8
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
Meet Your Instructor
Diana Rodgers is a teaching artist living in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Since earning a BFA in apparel design from FIT, she has enjoyed a varied creative career including fashion designer, entrepreneur, and teacher. The ‘common thread’ among all these endeavors is sewing. Diana currently teaches weekly sewing classes to children and adults, covering everything from clothing to accessories to quilts. When not teaching, she creates sewn illustrations (or appliqué), inspired by all the things that make her feel nostalgic. You can check 'em out on Instagram @wonderthreads