VIRTUAL WORKSHOP: Sew a Kalle Shirt or Shirtdress
Join us to sew a Kalle Top or Dress!
The Kalle Shirt & Shirtdress is the ultimate in chic, easy dressing. Choose from a number of styles: cropped length with a wide-faced hem, tunic length inspired by classic men's oxfords, or a stylish shirtdress with a high-low hem. All versions feature a subtly curved yoke, short dolman sleeves with arm cuffs, and a dramatically shaped hem.
In this advanced-beginner, three-evening virtual workshop, you'll build your sewing skills AND you'll sew an amazing blouse or dress, custom made to fit your body. You'll leave this class with the skills and confidence to tackle more garment sewing on your own.
You'll learn how to:
- Measure the body accurately to create a perfect fit
- Work from a commercial pattern, including size selection, deciphering instructions, cutting from paper pattern pieces, and more
- Understand garment sewing basics such as proper fabric prep, pinning, cutting, ironing and troubleshooting
- Become familiar with sewing jargon commonly found in commercial patterns
- Sew a button-up front (Please note: we will be covering the button placket only and will not be covering the hidden placket or popover options)
- Sew short dolman sleeves and arm cuffs
- Sew back pleats
- Sew a breast pocket
This is a three-evening workshop being held on the following dates:
Thursday 7/15 at 6:30pm-7:30pm EST - The instructor will demo how decipher and cut out the pattern, plus how to cut the fabric. Students are to complete these steps at their own pace between the first and second session.
Thursday 7/22 6:30pm-9pm EST - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
Thursday 7/29 at 6:30pm-9pm - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
**There may be homework to complete between sessions depending on workshop pace!**
Please note this is not a learn-to-sew class. Students must have basic machine sewing knowledge and be comfortable using a sewing machine.
Materials + Tools Required
Kalle Pattern by Closet Core Patterns (Plus size range 14-30 currently available as a PDF only-- purchase here)
- 1.5 - 3.25 yards (depending on size, fabric width, and dress/top length selected, see chart above) light to medium weight woven fabric. Make a fluid, drapey Kalle with soft fabrics like tencel, linen, rayon challis and silk crepe de chine. Crisper fabrics like poplin, chambray, voile, flannel and traditional shirtings will create a more structured silhouette.
- Fusible interfacing
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- 1/2" shirt buttons -- 5-11 total depending on size and shirt/dress length
- Fabric scissors
- Straight pins
- Safety Pin
- Sewing machine -- please make sure your machine is in good working order before registering for this workshop :)
- Iron and ironing board or mat
Date & Time: Three evenings-- see dates above! Please note: the date you select a the top of the page is the first of three parts for this workshop.
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Details will be emailed 24-48 hours before the workshop begins.
Max # of students: 8
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Diana Rodgers is a teaching artist living in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Since earning a BFA in apparel design from FIT, she has enjoyed a varied creative career including fashion designer, entrepreneur, and teacher. The ‘common thread’ among all these endeavors is sewing. Diana currently teaches weekly sewing classes to children and adults, covering everything from clothing to accessories to quilts. When not teaching, she creates sewn illustrations (or appliqué), inspired by all the things that make her feel nostalgic. You can check 'em out on Instagram @wonderthreads