VIRTUAL WORKSHOP: Sew a Duffle Bag
Travel in style with your own DIY duffle bag! In this virtual workshop, we'll make the Portside Duffle from Grainline Studio-- perfectly sized for a long weekend (or week if you’re a light packer). This duffle features handles which can be carried or slung over the shoulder as well as a removable adjustable shoulder strap.
In this 3-part workshop, you'll learn how to:
- How to follow a commercial bag pattern
- How to install a zipper
- How to use D rings and swivel bolt snaps to attach adjustable straps
- How to sew a lined duffle bag from start to finish
This is a three-part workshop being held on the following dates:
Thursday 5/20 at 6:30pm-7:30pm - The instructor will demo how to properly how to cut the pattern/fabric and prepare to sew. Students are to complete these steps at their own pace between the first and second session.
Saturday 5/22 at 4pm-6:30pm - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session. There may be sewing homework to complete before the next session.
Sunday 5/23 at 4pm-6:30pm - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session. Some steps may be finished after class at your own pace-- you will receive a recording of the workshop to reference as needed.
Suitable for confident beginners. Please note this is not a learn-to-sew class. Students must have basic machine sewing knowledge and be comfortable using a sewing machine.
Materials + Tools Required
**Save 10% on supplies purchased from Brooklyn Craft Company with code PORTSIDE10**
Please note: the fabric & notions requirements listed on the pattern are for the full travel set. Quantities listed below are for the duffle bag only.
- Portside Travel Set pattern (currently available as PDF only) - purchase here!
- Exterior fabric: 2 yards total (If you would like to use 2 exterior fabrics as shown in image, you will need 1 yard of each fabric) medium to heavy weight fabric such as canvas, waxed canvas, denim, etc.
- Lining fabric: 1.5 yards medium to heavy weight fabric-- anything from quilting cotton to essex linen to canvas works here as it will be interfaced! Feel free to reach out with any questions about fabric choices.
- 2.5 yds fusible interfacing (choose a heavier weight for a more structured bag, or if you are using a lighter fabric for the exterior or lining)
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- 5 yards 1.5" webbing (Please note: the pattern calls for both 1.5" and 1.25" webbing and hardware. We suggest sticking to 1.5" across the board to simplify things!)
- 4 D-rings-- 1.5" (If you opted for a different size webbing, be sure to purchase hardware in the same size)
- 2 swivel hooks-- 1.5" wide x approx. 3" long
- 21" handbag zipper (we carry 22" zippers and will demonstrate how to shorten to size during class)
- Sewing machine
- Iron + ironing board or mat
Date & Time: Three evenings-- see dates above! Please note: the date you select a the top of the page is the first of three parts for this workshop.
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Details will be emailed after you register
Max # of students: 8
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Diana Rodgers is a teaching artist living in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Since earning a BFA in apparel design from FIT, she has enjoyed a varied creative career including fashion designer, entrepreneur, and teacher. The ‘common thread’ among all these endeavors is sewing. Diana currently teaches weekly sewing classes to children and adults, covering everything from clothing to accessories to quilts. When not teaching, she creates sewn illustrations (or appliqué), inspired by all the things that make her feel nostalgic. You can check 'em out on Instagram @wonderthreads