VIRTUAL WORKSHOP: Sew Sport Shorts
Learn to make a super-cute and comfy pair of shorts in this virtual workshop!
This workshop will (virtually!) meet for three sessions. You'll learn how to:
- Print and assemble a PDF pattern at home
- Measure the body accurately to create a perfect fit
- Work from a commercial pattern, including size selection, deciphering instructions, cutting from paper pattern pieces, and more
- Sew an elastic drawstring waistband
- Sew pockets
- Make bias tape for binding
This is a 3-part course being held on the following dates:
NOTE: Registration opens on Friday 9/2 at 3:30pm EST!
**Each session will be recorded and access links are sent by 11:30am EST the morning following class. If you can't make a session, no sweat! Use the recording to catch up.**
Please note this is an advanced beginner level workshop. This workshop is suitable for advanced beginners/intermediate students who are comfortable using their sewing machine and have completed a garment project in the recent past.
Materials + Tools Required
**Save 10% on supplies purchased at Brooklyn Craft Co with code SPORTSHORTS10**
- Sport Shorts PDF Pattern - If you prefer not to print/ assemble your pattern at home, we highly recommend our friends Brooklyn Motif for wide format pattern printing! They have generously extended an offer of 15% off pattern printing for Brooklyn Craft Co workshops with code CLASS.
- Light to mid weight woven fabrics-- 1-1.5 yards main fabric and .5-1.25 yards contrasting fabric (depending on size and fabric width, see chart in photos above)
- 2 yards 1.5" elastic
- Safety Pin
- 2" x 4" scrap of fusible interfacing
- Optional (but very helpful!): 18mm (3/4") bias tape maker
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- Straight pins
- Fabric scissors or rotary cutter/mat
- Sewing machine -- please make sure your machine is in good working order before registering for this workshop.
- Iron and ironing board or mat
Date & Time: Three parts-- see dates above! Please note: the date you select a the top of the page is the first of three parts for this workshop.
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Details will be emailed within 24-48 hours before the workshop begins.
Max # of students: 8
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Christine Haynes is a Brooklyn-based sewing author, teacher, and pattern designer. Christine grew up in Saugatuck, MI, a small beach community on the southwestern coast of Lake Michigan, where the arts were part of her daily life. She attended the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts in the department of Film, Video, and New Media.
Her mother taught her to sew around the age of 10, and it grew from a personal hobby, until it became her main artistic outlet. After selling ready-to-wear garments for many years, Christine turned her focus to teaching others to experience the joy of making clothing for themselves through her patterns, books, and workshops.