VIRTUAL WORKSHOP: Sew a Roscoe Blouse or Dress
Interested in attending but no sessions available that fit your schedule? Please fill out this form and we will notify you when new sessions are added!
Learn to sew a chic blouse or dress in this virtual workshop led by Christine Haynes!
In this four-evening workshop, you'll learn to sew a True Bias Roscoe, a blouse or dress with a gathered neckline and raglan sleeves. The neckline is finished with a center slit and neckties. The sleeves are designed to hit a few inches above the wrist. Choose between a blouse, mini dress/tunic or a midi dress with an optional, fabulous ruffle!
We'll cover how to:
- Print and assemble a PDF pattern at home (you're welcome to use the paper copy of the pattern instead, if you'd like!)
- Measure the body accurately to create a perfect fit
- Work from a commercial pattern, including size selection, deciphering instructions, cutting from paper pattern pieces, and more
- Understand garment sewing basics such as proper fabric prep, pinning, cutting, ironing and troubleshooting
- Become familiar with sewing jargon commonly found in commercial patterns
- Sew a gathered neckline with a center slit and neckties, flowy raglan sleeves, and an optional large ruffle hem!
This is a four-evening workshop being held on the following dates:
Wednesday 11/17 at 6:30pm-7:30pm EST - The instructor will demo how to properly print and assemble the PDF pattern, plus how to cut the fabric. Students are to complete these steps at their own pace between the first and second session.
Friday 11/19 at 6:30pm-8:30pm - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
Saturday 11/20 at 4pm-6pm - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
Sunday 11/21 at 4pm-6pm - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
Please note this is not a learn-to-sew class. This workshop is suitable for advanced beginners who are comfortable using their sewing machine and have recently completed a few garment projects.
Materials + Tools Required
**Use code ROSCOE10 for 10% off class supplies purchased at Brooklyn Craft Co!**
- True Bias Roscoe Pattern -- Purchase printed or PDF pattern here
- 2-3.5 yards (depending on size, version and fabric width) of lightweight wovan fabrics with movement like cotton voile, lightweight linen, gauze etc. Please note: sizes 16 & 18 are not suitable for 45" wide fabric.
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine -- please make sure your machine is in good working order before registering for this workshop :)
- Iron and ironing board or mat
Date & Time: Four evenings-- see dates above! Please note: the date you select a the top of the page is the first of four parts for this workshop.
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Details will be emailed within 24-48 hours before the workshop begins.
Max # of students: 8
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Christine Haynes is a Brooklyn-based sewing author, teacher, and pattern designer. Christine grew up in Saugatuck, MI, a small beach community on the southwestern coast of Lake Michigan, where the arts were part of her daily life. She attended the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts in the department of Film, Video, and New Media.
Her mother taught her to sew around the age of 10, and it grew from a personal hobby, until it became her main artistic outlet. After selling ready-to-wear garments for many years, Christine turned her focus to teaching others to experience the joy of making clothing for themselves through her patterns, books, and workshops.
Christine can be found at www.christinehaynes.com and on Instagram at @christinehaynes.