GREENPOINT WORKSHOP: Sew a Skye Dress
Join us to make a super cute Skye Dress from Tilly & the Buttons!
Reach for this throw-it-on sundress on those sticky, hot summer days when you don’t know what else to wear, or layer it up over a t-shirt as the sun goes down. Choose from mini-, knee- or maxi-length hemlines for the floaty, gathered skirt. And, of course, it has side seam pockets for your ice cream money!
In this two-evening workshop, you'll gain an understanding of sewing from a purchased pattern, AND you'll sew a super-cute dress, custom made to fit your body. You'll leave this class with the skills and confidence to tackle more garment sewing on your own.
You'll learn how to:
- Measure the body accurately to create a perfect fit
- Work from a commercial pattern, including size selection, deciphering instructions, cutting from tissue paper pattern pieces, and more
- Understand garment sewing basics such as proper fabric prep, pinning, cutting, ironing and trouble shooting
- Become familiar with sewing jargon commonly found in commercial patterns
- Cut fabric and assemble a garment the right way
- Sew an empire waist with pleats under the bust
- Sew optional shoulder ties
- Please note: We will be teaching a clean finish/ double layer technique for the bodice. We will not be covering the bias binding finishing technique that is written in the pattern. If purchasing your fabric ahead of class, be sure to add an additional half yard to what the pattern calls for.
This is a two-evening workshop being held on the following dates:
Tuesday 9/14 and Tuesday 9/21, 6:30-9:30pm
(students must be available to attend both dates)
Skill requirements: This is a confident-beginner garment sewing workshop. You must have basic machine-sewing skills. Our Sewing 101 class (or equivalent) is a prerequisite for this class. (You can register for one of our upcoming Sewing 101 workshops here.) Previous garment sewing experience is not required but is very helpful. If you're unsure whether you have enough sewing experience for this class, please send a brief email summarizing your sewing experience to email@example.com.
Date & Time: select start date above
Location: Brooklyn Craft Company, 165 Greenpoint Avenue (here’s where we’re located)
Cost: $145 includes dress pattern, 6+ hours of instruction and use of our BERNINA sewing machines + tools. Does NOT include fabric or thread-- All required materials will be available for purchase during class at a 10% discount.
Important Pattern Info: The printed version of this pattern (included in registration fee) includes sizes US 2-20. A plus pattern for sizes 12-30 is available in PDF format only. Take a peek at the size charts here to determine the range you will need! If you opt to purchase a PDF pattern from Tilly & the Buttons, shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org before the workshop and we will provide a $10 store credit to use toward materials or another future purchasee. PDF patterns must be fully printed and assembled before you arrive for class.
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Diana Rodgers is a teaching artist living in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Since earning a BFA in apparel design from FIT, she has enjoyed a varied creative career including fashion designer, entrepreneur, and teacher. The ‘common thread’ among all these endeavors is sewing. Diana currently teaches weekly sewing classes to children and adults, covering everything from clothing to accessories to quilts. When not teaching, she creates sewn illustrations (or appliqué), inspired by all the things that make her feel nostalgic. You can check 'em out on Instagram @wonderthreads