GREENPOINT WORKSHOP: 5-Week Sewing Course - Button Up Shirt
Interested in attending but no sessions available that fit your schedule? Please fill out this form and we will notify you when new sessions are added!
**All workshop attendees are required to wear a mask for the duration of the workshop**
Ready to take your garment sewing skills to the next level? Join us to to make a Helen's Closet Cameron Button Up Shirt in this 5-week course!
The Cameron Button Up (available in sizes 0-34!) has all the classic features you look for in a great button up shirt. Collar and collar stand, front button placket, and optional chest pocket. Cameron is dartless and has a boxy fit from the chest to the hip. View A features long sleeves with sleeve plackets and cuffs. View B features short sleeves. Try Cameron in flannel for the ultimate cozy layer or make it in linen for a modern look. Play with prints or solids and customize the length, pockets, and collar shape to suit your personal preferences. Cameron will surely be your go-to button up shirt for yourself and loved ones!
Under the guidance of teacher Diana Rodgers, you'll learn the basics of shirt construction as you master several garment-sewing essentials. We'll cover:
- Measuring the body accurately to create a perfect fit
- Working from a commercial pattern, including size selection, deciphering instructions, cutting from paper pattern pieces, and more
- Understanding garment sewing basics such as proper fabric prep, pinning, cutting, ironing and troubleshooting
- Becoming familiar with sewing jargon commonly found in commercial patterns
- How to construct a collar, cuffs, placketed long sleeves or or short sleeves, patch pockets, and buttonhole.
- How to set sleeves
This is an intermediate level workshop. Advanced beginner sewing experience is required; you must be comfortable using a sewing machine and have sewn a few garments in the recent past.
Materials Required (not included in registration fee)
**Use code CAMERON10 for 10% workshop supplies on our site! Or, feel free to drop by our Greenpoint shop ahead of the workshop!**
- Cameron Button Up Pattern -- This pattern is available as a PDF-only. Students must purchase the Cameron Button Up pattern from Helen's Closet. The PDF can be printed at home on 8.5" x 11" paper, or large format printed at a copy shop. We recommend Brooklyn Motif for pattern printing!
- 1.4 - 4 yards (Depending on size, pattern version, and fabric width-- see sizing details here!) light to medium weight woven fabrics with no stretch. Linen, cotton (seersucker, shirting, chambray, quilting cotton, flannel)
- All-purpose sewing thread
- 3/8” - 1/2” wide buttons, 10 buttons for View A and 8 buttons for View B
- 1 yard (68.5 cm x 68.5 cm) of lightweight fusible interfacing
Important Note on Class Dates:
This is a five-part workshop taking place on the dates below:
Thursday 4/28 at 6:30-7:30pm-- This is an introductory virtual info session to kick off the workshop and discuss sizing, fabric prep, pattern cutting, etc. Students will be tasked with washing/pressing their fabric + cutting out their patterns and fabric at their own pace before the first session of sewing. You will receive the Zoom link 24-48 hours before the workshop! No cutting tools or space at home? No problem! Email firstname.lastname@example.org after registering to join a session of Open Sewing for free, where you can spread out at our table, use our tools, etc!
Thursday 5/5 at 6:30-9:30pm - This and all followings sessions will take place in person at our Greenpoint shop!
Thursday 5/12 at 6:30-9:30pm
Thursday 5/19 at 6:30-9:30pm
Thursday 5/26 at 6:30-9:30pm
Date & Time: Five evenings, please choose start date above!
Location: Brooklyn Craft Company, 165 Greenpoint Avenue (here’s where we’re located). Please note: The first session will take place virtually via Zoom!
Cost: $295 includes 13 hours of instruction, all necessary tools, and use of our BERNINA sewing machines; does not include fabric or notions, which will be available for purchase during class with a 10% student discount.
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
Meet Your Instructor
Diana Rodgers is a teaching artist living in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Since earning a BFA in apparel design from FIT, she has enjoyed a varied creative career including fashion designer, entrepreneur, and teacher. The ‘common thread’ among all these endeavors is sewing. Diana currently teaches weekly sewing classes to children and adults, covering everything from clothing to accessories to quilts. When not teaching, she creates sewn illustrations (or appliqué), inspired by all the things that make her feel nostalgic. You can check 'em out on Instagram @wonderthreads