VIRTUAL WORKSHOP: Sew Suki Robe
Join us to sew a Suki Robe -- a luxurious and comfortable addition to your everyday wardrobe! It wraps and ties around the waist and flares out over the hips. The sleeves offer a classic look while still being a practical shape and length for morning activities. Inner and outer ties keep this robe closed so you can move around freely. Waist ties are anchored to the back of the robe so you will never lose them. It even has pockets! Two lengths are provided and you have the option of contrasting fabric for the bands. The Suki Robe is your new favourite loungewear.
In this advanced-beginner, three-evening workshop, you'll learn to sew from a printed PDF pattern, AND you'll sew a chic robe, custom made to fit your body. You'll leave this class with the skills and confidence to tackle more garment sewing on your own.
You'll learn how to:
- Print and assemble a PDF pattern at home
- Measure the body accurately to create a perfect fit
- Work from a commercial pattern, including size selection, deciphering instructions, cutting from paper pattern pieces, and more
- Understand garment sewing basics such as proper fabric prep, pinning, cutting, ironing and troubleshooting
- Become familiar with sewing jargon commonly found in commercial patterns
- How to sew a sleeves, inseam pockets, and a fabric tie belt
This is a three-evening workshop being held on the following dates:
Thursday 11/12 at 6pm-7pm - The instructor will demo how to properly print and assemble the PDF pattern, plus how to cut the fabric. Students are to complete these steps at their own pace between the first and second session.
Saturday 11/14 at 4pm-6:30pm - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
Sunday 11/15 at 4pm-:306pm - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
Please note this is not a learn-to-sew class. Students must have basic machine sewing knowledge and be comfortable using a sewing machine.
Materials + Tools Required
- Suki Robe Pattern by Helen's Closet Pattern. -- Purchase a PDF pattern here!
- 2.5 - 5.5 yards fabric depending on size, version selected, and fabric width. (See size chart above to determine yardage needed). The Suki Robe works best in a fabric with plenty of drape. For a lighter robe, choose a lightweight fabric such as rayon, double gauze, lightweight linen, or satin. Suki can also be made in cotton, flannel, linen/cotton blends, etc for a more structured, warmer robe.
- 1 yard fabric for contrasting fabric for neck band, sleeves, and waist tie (optional).
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- Light weight fusible interfacing (two 4-inch squares)
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine -- please make sure your machine is in good working order before registering for this workshop :)
- Iron and ironing board or mat
- Tape for pattern assembly
Date & Time: Three evenings-- see dates above! Please note: the date you select a the top of the page is the first of three parts for this workshop.
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Details will be emailed after you register
Max # of students: 8
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Diana Rodgers is a teaching artist living in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Since earning a BFA in apparel design from FIT, she has enjoyed a varied creative career including fashion designer, entrepreneur, and teacher. The ‘common thread’ among all these endeavors is sewing. Diana currently teaches weekly sewing classes to children and adults, covering everything from clothing to accessories to quilts. When not teaching, she creates sewn illustrations (or appliqué), inspired by all the things that make her feel nostalgic. You can check 'em out on Instagram @wonderthreads