VIRTUAL WORKSHOP: Sew Pietra Pants
Join us to sew chic-yet-cozy Pietra Shorts or Pants! This garment has a flat front, high-waisted silhouette with the comfort of an elastic waist in the back. Featuring lengthening panels in the front with slanted hip pockets and a hidden waist stay, you’ll never want to take them off.
In this confident-beginner, three-evening workshop, you'll learn to sew from a printed PDF pattern, AND you'll sew an amazing pair of Pietra Shorts or Pants, custom made to fit your body. Choose between four leg styles: a wide leg in floor-skimming or cropped length, a slim and tapered leg, or gently flared shorts. You'll leave this class with the skills and confidence to tackle more garment sewing on your own.
You'll learn how to:
- Print and assemble a PDF pattern at home
- Measure the body accurately to create a perfect fit
- Work from a commercial pattern, including size selection, deciphering instructions, cutting from paper pattern pieces, and more
- Understand garment sewing basics such as proper fabric prep, pinning, cutting, ironing and troubleshooting
- Become familiar with sewing jargon commonly found in commercial patterns
- How to sew a flat-front waist with an elastic back, slanted hip pockets, and a hem.
This is a three-evening workshop being held on the following dates:
Thursday 10/15 at 6pm-7pm - The instructor will demo how to properly print and assemble the PDF pattern, plus how to cut the fabric. Students are to complete these steps at their own pace between the first and second session.
Saturday 10/17 at 4pm-6pm - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
Sunday 10/18 at 4pm-6pm - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
Please note this is not a learn-to-sew class. Students must have basic machine sewing knowledge and be comfortable using a sewing machine.
Materials + Tools Required
- Pietra Pattern by Closet Core Pattens. -- Purchase a printed pattern here or a PDF pattern here!
- 1.5 - 4 yards fabric depending on size, version selected, and fabric width. (See size chart above to determine yardage needed). This pattern can be made with a variety of fabrics depending on the desired effect. For a more defined shape, use structured wovens such as linen, chambray, or lightweight denim or twill (heavyweight wovens may create too much volume at the elastic waist). For a swishy, glamorous look, try rayon!
- 1 yard of 2" wide elastic
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- Light weight fusible interfacing
- Straight pins
- Safety pins
- Sewing machine -- please make sure your machine is in good working order before registering for this workshop :)
- Iron and ironing board or mat
- Tape for pattern assembly
Date & Time: Three evenings-- see dates above! Please note: the date you select a the top of the page is the first of three parts for this workshop; Students must be available to attend all sessions.
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Details will be emailed after you register
Max # of students: 8
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Diana Rodgers is a teaching artist living in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Since earning a BFA in apparel design from FIT, she has enjoyed a varied creative career including fashion designer, entrepreneur, and teacher. The ‘common thread’ among all these endeavors is sewing. Diana currently teaches weekly sewing classes to children and adults, covering everything from clothing to accessories to quilts. When not teaching, she creates sewn illustrations (or appliqué), inspired by all the things that make her feel nostalgic. You can check 'em out on Instagram @wonderthreads