VIRTUAL WORKSHOP: Sew Pietra Shorts or Pants
Join us to sew chic-yet-cozy Pietra Shorts or Pants! This garment has a flat front, high-waisted silhouette with the comfort of an elastic waist in the back. Featuring lengthening panels in the front with slanted hip pockets and a hidden waist stay, you’ll never want to take them off.
In this confident-beginner, three-evening workshop, you'll learn to sew from a printed pattern, AND you'll sew an amazing pair of Pietra Shorts or Pants, custom made to fit your body. Choose between four leg styles: a wide leg in floor-skimming or cropped length, a slim and tapered leg, or gently flared shorts. You'll leave this class with the skills and confidence to tackle more garment sewing on your own.
You'll learn how to:
- Measure the body accurately to create a perfect fit
- Work from a commercial pattern, including size selection, deciphering instructions, cutting from paper pattern pieces, and more
- Understand garment sewing basics such as proper fabric prep, pinning, cutting, ironing and troubleshooting
- Become familiar with sewing jargon commonly found in commercial patterns
- How to sew a flat-front waist with an elastic back, slanted hip pockets, and a hem.
This is a three-evening workshop being held on the following dates:
Thursday 6/17 at 6:30pm-7:30 pm - The instructor will demo how to properly cut out the pattern plus how to cut the fabric. Students are to complete these steps at their own pace between the first and second session.
Thursday 6/24 at 6:30pm-8:30pm - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
Thursday 7/1 at 6:30pm-8:30pm - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
**There may be homework between sessions 2 & 3 depending on workshop pace.**
Please note this is not a learn-to-sew class. Students must have basic machine sewing knowledge and be comfortable using a sewing machine.
Materials + Tools Required
- Pietra Pattern by Closet Core Pattens. -- Purchase a pattern here!
- 1.5 - 4 yards fabric depending on size, version selected, and fabric width. (See size chart above to determine yardage needed). This pattern can be made with a variety of fabrics depending on the desired effect. For a more defined shape, use structured wovens such as linen, chambray, or lightweight denim or twill (heavyweight wovens may create too much volume at the elastic waist depending on your personal preference!). For a swishy, glamorous look, try rayon!
- 1 yard of 2" wide elastic
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- Light weight fusible interfacing
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine -- please make sure your machine is in good working order before registering for this workshop :)
- Iron and ironing board or mat
Date & Time: Three evenings-- see dates above! Please note: the date you select at the top of the page is the first of three parts for this workshop. A recording of each part will be sent to students within 24 hours of the live session-- if students are unable to attend live they are welcome to use the videos to catch up or complete the project at their own pace.
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Details will be emailed after you register
Max # of students: 8
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Diana Rodgers is a teaching artist living in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Since earning a BFA in apparel design from FIT, she has enjoyed a varied creative career including fashion designer, entrepreneur, and teacher. The ‘common thread’ among all these endeavors is sewing. Diana currently teaches weekly sewing classes to children and adults, covering everything from clothing to accessories to quilts. When not teaching, she creates sewn illustrations (or appliqué), inspired by all the things that make her feel nostalgic. You can check 'em out on Instagram @wonderthreads