VIRTUAL WORKSHOP: Sew a Sophie Swimsuit (Bikini)
Interested in attending but no sessions available that fit your schedule? Please fill out this form and we will notify you when new sessions are added!
Learn to sew your own swimwear in this virtual sewing workshop!
Under the guidance of teacher Christine Haynes in this 4-part workshop, you'll learn the how to make a super cute Sophie Swimsuit by Closet Core Patterns, custom fit to your body!
With curvy seam lines and a 3-piece balconette cup, Sophie is a supportive, infinitely customizable swimsuit with tons of style. In this workshop, we will be making View B-- a classic high waisted bikini with a halter neck . Tap into your inner designer by playing with contrast fabric and colour blocking, and learn how to add underwires and foam cups to make the most supportive swimsuit ever!
If you are interested in making the one-piece version of this swimsuit, click here to check out the workshop where we'll make View A!
You'll learn how to:
- Work with stretch swimwear fabrics
- Apply rubber swimwear elastic
- Insert an underwire
- Make custom-fit foam bra cups (Please note: all students will be including foam cups and underwire in their swimsuit. Due to time limitations we are unable to offer other variations. That said, we think you will love the support of the underwire/ foam cup combo!)
- Understand swimwear construction and gain the skills to tackle more complicated swimwear projects
This is a 4-part workshop being held on the following dates:
Thursday 6/17 at 6:30pm-9pm EST
Friday 6/18 at 6:30pm-9pm EST
Saturday 6/19 at 4pm-6:30pm EST
Sunday 6/20 at 4pm-6:30pm EST
**Please note: each session will be recorded. A link to access the recording will be sent out within 24 hours after each session.**
Please note this is not a learn-to-sew class. Students must have basic machine sewing knowledge and be comfortable using a sewing machine. Previous garment sewing experience is highly recommended to enjoy success in this workshop.
Materials + Tools Required
**Save 10% on workshop supplies purchased at Brooklyn Craft Co. with code SOPHIE10**
- Sophie Swimsuit Pattern by Closet Core Patterns -- Purchase the PDF pattern here!
- Brooklyn Craft Co's swimwear kit (includes bra foam, underwire, underwire channeling, strap hooks, and swimwear elastic) Please note: In order to ensure a smooth learning experience, we are strongly recommending that all students use the kit we have created for this workshop. Swimwear supply shopping can be tricky and it's easy for newbies to end up with the wrong products, so we have intentionally selected materials to you set you up for success. :)
- 1 yard Swimsuit fabric with 4-way stretch (at least 50% crosswise stretch). Suitable fabrics are spandex, nylon, and polyester. Natural fibers will not work for this project! If you'd like to use two contrast fabrics, you will need .75 yards of each. Within 24 hours of registering, you will receive an email with fabric suggestions and tips.
- 3/4 yard Swim lining with 4-way stretch (100% nylon suggested)
- Non-stretch bra lining (approx. 18" square)
- 1" G-hook or swim closure
- Sewing machine -- please make sure your machine is in good working order before registering for this workshop :)
Date & Time: 4 evenings-- see dates above! Please note: the date you select a the top of the page is the first of four parts for this workshop.
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Details will be emailed after you register
Max # of students: 8
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Christine Haynes is a Brooklyn-based sewing author, teacher, and pattern designer. Christine grew up in Saugatuck, MI, a small beach community on the southwestern coast of Lake Michigan, where the arts were part of her daily life. She attended the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts in the department of Film, Video, and New Media.
Her mother taught her to sew around the age of 10, and it grew from a personal hobby, until it became her main artistic outlet. After selling ready-to-wear garments for many years, Christine turned her focus to teaching others to experience the joy of making clothing for themselves through her patterns, books, and workshops.
Christine can be found at www.christinehaynes.com and on Instagram at @christinehaynes.