VIRTUAL WORKSHOP: Sew a Billie Sweatshirt or Sweater Dress
Join us to make a Tilly and the Buttons Billie, an ultra-comfy sweatshirt or sweater dress with a relaxed shape, crew neckline and classic trim details. What a cute piece to add to your work from home wardrobe! Keep it effortless with cuffed, straight sleeves, or add some drama with on-trend balloon sleeves and deep cuffs.
In this three-evening workshop, you'll learn how to sew a sweatshirt or sweater dress, including how to:
- Measure the body accurately to create a perfect fit
- Work from a commercial pattern, including size selection, deciphering instructions, cutting from paper pattern pieces, and more
- Understand garment sewing basics such as proper fabric prep, pinning, cutting, ironing and troubleshooting
- Sew heavier weight stretchy knit fabrics on a standard home sewing machine (not a serger)
- Sew sleeve cuffs and a crew neck
- Sew balloon sleves
This is a three-evening workshop taking place on the following dates:
Thursday 2/25 at 6:30pm-7:30pm EST - The instructor will demo how to cut out pattern pieces and fabric. Students are to complete these steps at their own pace between the first and second session.
Saturday 2/27 at 4pm-6pm EST- Students will sew along with the instructor during this session. There may be sewing homework to complete before the next session.
Sunday 2/28 at 4pm-6pm EST - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session. Some steps may be finished after class at your own pace-- you will receive a recording of the workshop to reference as needed.
Suitable for confident beginners. Please note this is not a learn-to-sew class. Students must have basic machine sewing knowledge and be comfortable using a sewing machine.
Materials + Tools Required
**Save 10% on supplies purchased from Brooklyn Craft Company with code BILLIE10**
- 1.75 - 4.25 yd (depending on size, version and fabric width-- see size charts above) sweatshirt fleece, ponte, french terry or sweater knit with at least 10% stretch. Less yardage is required if using separate ribbing for cuffs etc. Please note-- You’ll need a sturdy machine to sew the balloon sleeve version in a thick sweatshirting fabric.
- Optional: Ribbing for cuffs etc, if main fabric has less than 20% stretch: regular sleeve – 5/8yd; balloon sleeve – 3/4yd
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine -- please make sure your machine is in good working order before registering for this workshop :)
- Iron and ironing board or mat
Date & Time: Three evenings-- see dates above! Please note: the date you select a the top of the page is the first of three parts for this workshop.
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Details will be emailed after you register
Max # of students: 8
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Diana Rodgers is a teaching artist living in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Since earning a BFA in apparel design from FIT, she has enjoyed a varied creative career including fashion designer, entrepreneur, and teacher. The ‘common thread’ among all these endeavors is sewing. Diana currently teaches weekly sewing classes to children and adults, covering everything from clothing to accessories to quilts. When not teaching, she creates sewn illustrations (or appliqué), inspired by all the things that make her feel nostalgic. You can check 'em out on Instagram @wonderthreads