VIRTUAL WORKSHOP: Patchwork Pillow
If you've been wanting to learn to sew patchwork quilts and home decor, this is the workshop for you! In this virtual workshop hosted via Zoom, instructor Diana Rogers will take students on a tour of beginner patchwork -- the process of sewing small pieces of fabric together to make a larger composition.
Students will learn how to design and assemble a patchwork pillow cover, including:
- Beginner-level patchwork basics
- How to accurately cut fabric with a rotary cutter and cutting mat (or scissors if that is what you have on hand!)
- How to assemble your fabric pieces (you must have basic machine sewing experience; see below)
- How to iron in quilting
- How to sew an envelope-style pillow cover (no zippers here!)
Please note this is not a learn-to-sew class. Students must have basic machine sewing knowledge and be comfortable using a sewing machine.
Materials + Tools Required
- 1.5 total yards of medium-weight, non-stretchy fabric (quilting cotton is ideal!). The number of different fabrics used is up to you!
- Fabric scissors
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- Straight pins (at least 1.5" long)
- Pencil or fabric marker
- Quilting ruler
- Rotary cutter and cutting mat (technically optional for this project, but important tools for patchwork and a worthwhile investment!)
- 16" x16" pillow form
- Sewing machine -- please make sure your machine is in good working order before registering for this workshop :)
Date & Time: Select above
Class Length: Approximately 2.5 hours
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Details will be emailed after you register
Max # of students: 8
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
Meet Your Instructor
Diana Rodgers is a teaching artist living in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Since earning a BFA in apparel design from FIT, she has enjoyed a varied creative career including fashion designer, entrepreneur, and teacher. The ‘common thread’ among all these endeavors is sewing. Diana currently teaches weekly sewing classes to children and adults, covering everything from clothing to accessories to quilts. When not teaching, she creates sewn illustrations (or applique), inspired by all the things that make her feel nostalgic. You can check 'em out on Instagram @wonderthreads