Interested in attending but no sessions available that fit your schedule? Please fill out this form and we will notify you when new sessions are added!
Please note: All class registrations are final; please view our Cancellation Policy and Covid-19 Policy for more information. By registering for this workshop, you are agreeing to abide by these policies. Thank you for supporting our small business!
If you've been wanting to learn to sew patchwork quilts, this is the class for you! In this five-hour intensive, instructor Diana Rogers will take students on a tour of beginner patchwork -- the process of sewing small pieces of fabric together to make a larger composition.
In this class you'll learn:
- How to design and assemble a log cabin quilt block
- Beginner-level patchwork basics
- How to accurately cut fabric with a rotary cutter and cutting mat
- How to assemble your fabric pieces (you must have machine sewing experience; see below)
- How to iron in quilting
- The specific cutting and assembly methods used in a simple quilt block
- We will provide cutting mats, rotary cutters and rulers to share.
- Each student will have access to their own sewing machine courtesy of BERNINA of America
- Students will work toward making a small quilt top-- either one jumbo quilt block, or several smaller blocks
Want to make a complete quilt from the blocks you make in this workshop? Come back for our Beginner Quilting Workshop, where you'll learn how to assemble your "quilt sandwich" with batting and binding. Register for both and save $20! Just use code QUILTPARTY at checkout! Please note: You would likely need to spend some time sewing at home or at Open Sewing Hours to make your patchwork piece large enough for the quilting workshop project.
Please note this is not a learn-to-sew class. Students must have basic machine sewing knowledge and be comfortable using a sewing machine. If you do not know how to sew, please take one of our Sewing 101 classes as a prerequisite to this class.
Fabric will be available to purchase during class at a 10% discount to workshop attendees.
Date & Time: select above
Location: Brooklyn Craft Company (here's where we're located)
Cost: $95.00; materials not included
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
Meet Your Instructor
Diana Rodgers is a teaching artist living in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Since earning a BFA in apparel design from FIT, she has enjoyed a varied creative career including fashion designer, entrepreneur, and teacher. The ‘common thread’ among all these endeavors is sewing. Diana currently teaches weekly sewing classes to children and adults, covering everything from clothing to accessories to quilts. When not teaching, she creates sewn illustrations (or applique), inspired by all the things that make her feel nostalgic. You can check 'em out on Instagram @wonderthreads