VIRTUAL WORKSHOP: Sew Wide Leg Cropped Pants
Learn to sew PANTS! Join us to amp up your sewing skills in this confident-beginner workshop while you work through the Ninni Culottes pattern by Named Clothing!
In this three-evening workshop, you'll gain an understanding of sewing from a printed PDF pattern, AND you'll sew a chic pair of high-waisted, wide leg cropped pants, custom made to fit your body. You'll leave this class with the skills and confidence to tackle more garment sewing on your own.
You'll learn how to:
- Print and assemble a PDF pattern at home
- Measure the body accurately to create a perfect fit
- Work from a commercial pattern, including size selection, deciphering instructions, cutting from paper pattern pieces, and more
- Understand garment sewing basics such as proper fabric prep, pinning, cutting, ironing and troubleshooting
- Become familiar with sewing jargon commonly found in commercial patterns
- Sew inseam pockets
- Sew an elastic waistband
This is a three-evening workshop being held on the following dates:
Wednesday 6/10 at 6pm-7pm - The instructor will demo how to properly print and assemble the PDF pattern, plus how to cut the fabric. Students are to complete these steps at their own pace between the first and second session.
Saturday 6/13 at 4pm-5:30pm - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
Sunday 6/14 at 4pm-5:30pm - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
Please note this is not a learn-to-sew class. Students must have basic machine sewing knowledge and be comfortable using a sewing machine.
Materials + Tools Required
- Ninni Elastic Waist Culottes Pattern -- Purchase the PDF here!
- 2-2.5 yards light or medium weight woven fabric with a nice drape-- think linen, linen blends, chambray, etc! **Please note: the pattern calls for stretchy fabric, but we will be using woven fabric for this workshop. Please be sure to purchase non-stretchy fabric!** See size chart above to determine yardage needed.
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- Straight pins
- 1.5" elastic (1-2 yards depending on your waist measurement)
- Sewing machine -- please make sure your machine is in good working order before registering for this workshop :)
- Iron and ironing board or mat
Date & Time: Three evenings-- see dates above! Please note: the date you select a the top of the page is the first of three parts for this workshop; Students must be available to attend all sessions.
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Details will be emailed after you register
Max # of students: 6
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Christine Haynes is a Brooklyn-based sewing author, teacher, and pattern designer. Christine grew up in Saugatuck, MI, a small beach community on the southwestern coast of Lake Michigan, where the arts were part of her daily life. She attended the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts in the department of Film, Video, and New Media.
Her mother taught her to sew around the age of 10, and it grew from a personal hobby, until it became her main artistic outlet. After selling ready-to-wear garments for many years, Christine turned her focus to teaching others to experience the joy of making clothing for themselves through her patterns, books, and workshops.