VIRTUAL WORKSHOP: Sew Hudson Pants
Interested in attending but no sessions available that fit your schedule? Please fill out this form and we will notify you when new sessions are added!
Learn to sew PANTS! Join us to amp up your sewing skills in this confident beginner workshop!
In this three-evening virtual workshop, you'll gain an understanding of sewing from a purchased pattern and learn to work with stretchy knit fabrics. You'll make a cozy pair of joggers, custom made to fit your body, and will leave with the skills and confidence to tackle more stretchy garment sewing on your own.
We will work through the Hudson Pants pattern by True Bias. You'll learn how to:
- Measure the body accurately to create a perfect fit
- Work from a commercial pattern, including size selection, deciphering instructions, cutting from paper pattern pieces, and more
- Sew with knit fabric
- Sew an elastic waist with optional drawstring, pockets, and ankle cuffs
This is a three-evening workshop being held on the following dates:
Wednesday 3/16 at 6:30pm-7:30pm EST - The instructor will demo how to properly print and assemble the PDF pattern, plus how to cut the fabric. Students are to complete these steps at their own pace between the first and second session.
Saturday 3/19 at 12-2:30pm EST - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
Sunday 3/20 at 12-2:30pm EST - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
**There may be homework between sessions 2 and 3!**
Please note this is not a learn-to-sew class. This workshop is suitable for advanced beginners who are comfortable using their sewing machine and have completed a few projects.
Materials + Tools Required
**Save 10% on supplies purchased at Brooklyn Craft Co with code HUDSON10**
- Hudson Pants Pattern -- Purchase here!
- 1.5 - 3 yards (depending on size and fabric width. See size charts above!) Medium weight knit fabric such as cotton lycra, french terry, ponte, and sweatshirt knit with a suggested stretch of 25% or more.
- 2 yards of 2-inch wide elastic
For optional drawstring: 1/4-inch wide cording & 2-inch x 1-inch piece of lightweight interfacing
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- Ballpoint machine sewing needles
- Straight pins
- Fabric scissors or rotary cutter/mat
- Safety Pin
- Sewing machine -- please make sure your machine is in good working order before registering for this workshop.
- Iron and ironing board or mat
Date & Time: Three evenings-- see dates above! Please note: the date you select a the top of the page is the first of three parts for this workshop.
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Details will be emailed within 24-48 hours before the workshop begins.
Max # of students: 8
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Christine Haynes is a Brooklyn-based sewing author, teacher, and pattern designer. Christine grew up in Saugatuck, MI, a small beach community on the southwestern coast of Lake Michigan, where the arts were part of her daily life. She attended the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts in the department of Film, Video, and New Media.
Her mother taught her to sew around the age of 10, and it grew from a personal hobby, until it became her main artistic outlet. After selling ready-to-wear garments for many years, Christine turned her focus to teaching others to experience the joy of making clothing for themselves through her patterns, books, and workshops.