VIRTUAL WORKSHOP: Sew Free Range Slacks
Learn to sew comfy, versatile, stylish pants in this advanced-beginner workshop led by Christine Haynes!
In this three-evening workshop, you'll learn to sew a pair of Sew House Seven Free Range Slacks, custom made to fit your body. These slacks feature an elastic waist (a must for pants in 2020), front pockets, and either a tapered or wide leg-- you choose!
You'll learn how to:
- Print and assemble a PDF pattern at home (you're welcome to use the paper copy of the pattern instead, if you'd like!)
- Measure the body accurately to create a perfect fit
- Work from a commercial pattern, including size selection, deciphering instructions, cutting from paper pattern pieces, and more
- Understand garment sewing basics such as proper fabric prep, pinning, cutting, ironing and troubleshooting
- Become familiar with sewing jargon commonly found in commercial patterns
- Sew a wide elastic waistband
- Sew front slash pockets
- Sew a tapered or straight leg (you choose!)
- Please note-- we will be skipping the back pocket for this workshop.
This is a three-evening workshop being held on the following dates:
Thursday 12/17 at 6pm-7pm - The instructor will demo how to properly print and assemble the PDF pattern, plus how to cut the fabric. Students are to complete these steps at their own pace between the first and second session.
Saturday 12/19 at 4pm-6:30pm - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
Sunday 12/19 at 4pm-6:30pm - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
**There may be homework between sessions 2 and 3!**
Please note this is not a learn-to-sew class. This workshop is suitable for advanced beginners who are comfortable using their sewing machine and have completed a few projects.
Materials + Tools Required
- Free Range Slacks pattern -- Purchase printed pattern here or the PDF here!
- 1.75-4.75 yards (depending on size and fabric width. See both size charts above!) light or medium weight woven fabric like linen/linen blends, chambray, light to mid-weight denim, etc! See size chart above to determine yardage needed-- please be sure to check measurements these are UK sizes! Be sure to wash, dry, and press your fabric before class!
- 1.5" elastic (enough for your waist size plus 1/2")
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine -- please make sure your machine is in good working order before registering for this workshop :)
- Iron and ironing board or mat
Date & Time: Three evenings-- see dates above! Please note: the date you select a the top of the page is the first of three parts for this workshop.
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Details will be emailed within 24-48 hours before the workshop begins.
Max # of students: 8
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Christine Haynes is a Brooklyn-based sewing author, teacher, and pattern designer. Christine grew up in Saugatuck, MI, a small beach community on the southwestern coast of Lake Michigan, where the arts were part of her daily life. She attended the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts in the department of Film, Video, and New Media.
Her mother taught her to sew around the age of 10, and it grew from a personal hobby, until it became her main artistic outlet. After selling ready-to-wear garments for many years, Christine turned her focus to teaching others to experience the joy of making clothing for themselves through her patterns, books, and workshops.