VIRTUAL WORKSHOP: Sew a Jackson Tee
Learn to sew a classic t-shirt in this virtual workshop led by Christine Haynes!
In this three-evening workshop, you'll make a Helen's Closet Jackson Tee. The Jackson Tee is ready to be a workhorse in your wardrobe. This gender-inclusive design is great for you and excellent for your family and friends, too. All views have a classic unisex fit with a slightly dropped shoulder and crew neck. Two lengths are provided so it’s easy to suit yourself or the person you are sewing it for. You simply can’t have too many Jacksons! The pattern includes sizes 0-34!
You'll learn how to:
- Measure the body accurately to create a perfect fit
- Work from a commercial pattern, including size selection, deciphering instructions, cutting from paper pattern pieces, and more
- Understand best practices for sewing stretchy knits
- Sew either a classic comfy t-shirt!
This is a three-evening workshop being held on the following dates:
Monday 2/21 at 6:30-7:30pm EST - The instructor will demo how to properly print and assemble the PDF pattern, plus how to cut the fabric. Students are to complete these steps at their own pace between the first and second session.
Wednesday 2/23 at 6:30-8:30pm EST - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
Thursday 2/24 at 6:30-8:30pm EST - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
Please note this is not a learn-to-sew class. This workshop is suitable for advanced beginners who are comfortable using their sewing machine and have completed a few projects.
Materials + Tools Required
**Save 10% on supplies purchased at Brooklyn Craft Co with code JACKSON10**
- Jackson Tee Pattern-- Purchase PDF pattern here! Please note: We will be making the tee only, not the pullover.
- 1.1 - 3 yards stretch knits with at least 10% cross-grain stretch. See detailed size charts/ fabric requirement info here!
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- Stretch machine sewing needles
- Straight pins
- Fabric scissors or rotary cutter/mat
- Sewing machine -- please make sure your machine is in good working order before registering for this workshop.
- Iron and ironing board or mat
Date & Time: Three evenings-- see dates above! Please note: the date you select a the top of the page is the first of three parts for this workshop.
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Details will be emailed within 24-48 hours before the workshop begins.
Max # of students: 8
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Christine Haynes is a Brooklyn-based sewing author, teacher, and pattern designer. Christine grew up in Saugatuck, MI, a small beach community on the southwestern coast of Lake Michigan, where the arts were part of her daily life. She attended the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts in the department of Film, Video, and New Media.
Her mother taught her to sew around the age of 10, and it grew from a personal hobby, until it became her main artistic outlet. After selling ready-to-wear garments for many years, Christine turned her focus to teaching others to experience the joy of making clothing for themselves through her patterns, books, and workshops.