VIRTUAL WORKSHOP: Sew a Davenport Dress
Learn to sew a chic dress in this virtual workshop led by Christine Haynes!
In this four-evening workshop, you'll learn to sew a Friday Pattern Company Davenport dress! The perfect throw-on and go dress, the Davenport features full sleeves with an elastic ruffle hem as well as a shoulder flutter detail. The hem hits above the knees. The front neckline is gathered in with elastic, and the waist features a drawstring so this dress can be pulled on and off without any closures. Most importantly, the Davenport features roomy pockets that are perfect for stowing away all of your treasures.
We'll cover how to:
- Print and assemble a PDF pattern at home (you're welcome to use the paper copy of the pattern instead, if you'd like!)
- Measure the body accurately to create a perfect fit
- Work from a commercial pattern, including size selection, deciphering instructions, cutting from paper pattern pieces, and more
- Understand garment sewing basics such as proper fabric prep, pinning, cutting, ironing and troubleshooting
- Become familiar with sewing jargon commonly found in commercial patterns
- Sew an elastic ruffle hem, shoulder flutter, a drawstring, and more!
This is a four-evening workshop being held on the following dates:
Wednesday 10/13 at 6:30pm-7:30pm EST - The instructor will demo how to properly print and assemble the PDF pattern, plus how to cut the fabric. Students are to complete these steps at their own pace between the first and second session.
Friday 10/15 at 6:30pm-8:30pm - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
Saturday 10/16 at 4pm-6pm - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
Sunday 10/17 at 4pm-6pm - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session.
Please note this is not a learn-to-sew class. This workshop is suitable for advanced beginners who are comfortable using their sewing machine and have recently completed a few garment projects.
Materials + Tools Required
**Use code DAVENPORT10 for 10% off class supplies purchased at Brooklyn Craft Co!**
- Friday Pattern Company's Davenport Dress Pattern -- Purchase printed or PDF pattern here
- 3.5 - 6 yards (depending on size and fabric width) of light to mid weight fabrics like cotton lawn, linen, etc.
Note: Extra fabric may be needed to match design or for shrinkage. See size chart above to determine yardage needed. Be sure to wash, dry, and press your fabric before class!
- 1 yard of 3/8" elastic
- A safety pin or tube turning tool
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine -- please make sure your machine is in good working order before registering for this workshop :)
- Iron and ironing board or mat
Date & Time: Four evenings-- see dates above! Please note: the date you select a the top of the page is the first of four parts for this workshop.
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Details will be emailed within 24-48 hours before the workshop begins.
Max # of students: 8
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Christine Haynes is a Brooklyn-based sewing author, teacher, and pattern designer. Christine grew up in Saugatuck, MI, a small beach community on the southwestern coast of Lake Michigan, where the arts were part of her daily life. She attended the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts in the department of Film, Video, and New Media.
Her mother taught her to sew around the age of 10, and it grew from a personal hobby, until it became her main artistic outlet. After selling ready-to-wear garments for many years, Christine turned her focus to teaching others to experience the joy of making clothing for themselves through her patterns, books, and workshops.