VIRTUAL WORKSHOP: Sew a Billie Sweatshirt or Sweater Dress
Join us to make a Tilly and the Buttons Billie, an ultra-comfy sweatshirt or sweater dress with a relaxed shape, crew neckline and fun balloon sleeves!
In this three-part workshop, you'll learn how to sew a sweatshirt or sweater dress, including how to:
- Print and assemble a PDF pattern at home
- Measure the body accurately to create a perfect fit
- Work from a commercial pattern, including size selection, deciphering instructions, cutting from paper pattern pieces, and more
- Understand garment sewing basics such as proper fabric prep, pinning, cutting, ironing and troubleshooting
- Sew heavier weight stretchy knit fabrics on a standard home sewing machine (not a serger)
- Sew sleeve cuffs and a crew neck
- Sew balloon sleves
- **Please note: We will be covering versions 2 & 4 only in this workshop.**
This is a three-part workshop taking place on the following dates:
(Opening for registration 3/10 at 4pm EST)
Friday 4/8 at 6:30-7:30pm EST - The instructor will demo how to cut out pattern pieces and fabric. Students are to complete these steps at their own pace between the first and second session.
Saturday 4/9 at 4-6:30pm EST- Students will sew along with the instructor during this session. There may be sewing homework to complete before the next session.
Sunday 4/10 at 4-6:30pm EST - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session. Some steps may be finished after class at your own pace-- you will receive a recording of the workshop to reference as needed.
Suitable for confident beginners. Please note this is not a learn-to-sew class. Students must have basic machine sewing knowledge and be comfortable using a sewing machine.
Materials + Tools Required
**Save 10% on supplies purchased from Brooklyn Craft Company with code BILLIE10**
- Billie Sweatshirt or Sweater Dress Pattern (UK sizes 16-34 available in PDF-only, purchase here! If you prefer not print/ assemble your pattern at home, we highly recommend our friends Brooklyn Motif for wide format pattern printing!)
- 1.75 - 4.25 yd (depending on size, version and fabric width-- see size charts above) sweatshirt fleece, ponte, french terry or sweater knit with at least 10% stretch. Less yardage is required if using separate ribbing for cuffs etc. Please note-- You’ll need a sturdy machine to sew the balloon sleeve version in a thick sweatshirting fabric.
- Optional: Ribbing for cuffs etc, if main fabric has less than 20% stretch: 3/4 yd
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine -- please make sure your machine is in good working order before registering for this workshop :)
- Iron and ironing board or mat
Date & Time: Three evenings-- see dates above! Please note: the date you select a the top of the page is the first of three parts for this workshop.
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Details will be emailed after you register
Max # of students: 8
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Christine Haynes is a Brooklyn-based sewing author, teacher, and pattern designer. Christine grew up in Saugatuck, MI, a small beach community on the southwestern coast of Lake Michigan, where the arts were part of her daily life. She attended the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts in the department of Film, Video, and New Media.
Her mother taught her to sew around the age of 10, and it grew from a personal hobby, until it became her main artistic outlet. After selling ready-to-wear garments for many years, Christine turned her focus to teaching others to experience the joy of making clothing for themselves through her patterns, books, and workshops.