VIRTUAL WORKSHOP: Intro to Garment Sewing (Wiksten Shift Dress)
Ready to take your sewing skills to the next level? Learn to sew garments from a pattern in this confident-beginner virtual workshop!
If you want to learn to sew from a pattern, gain an understanding of garment construction, and begin sewing your own clothes, this is the workshop for you!
In this three-evening workshop, you'll gain an understanding of sewing from a purchased pattern, AND you'll sew a super-cute dress, custom made to fit your body. You'll leave this class with the skills and confidence to tackle more garment sewing on your own.
You'll learn how to:
- Measure the body accurately to create a perfect fit
- Work from a commercial pattern, including size selection, deciphering instructions, cutting from paper pattern pieces, and more
- Understand garment sewing basics such as proper fabric prep, pinning, cutting, ironing and troubleshooting
- Become familiar with sewing jargon commonly found in commercial patterns
- Cut fabric and assemble a garment the right way
- Sew a hem, create a faced neckline, and more.
This is a three-part workshop taking place on the following dates:
Monday 5/24 at 6:30pm-7:30pm - The instructor will demo how to cut out pattern pieces and fabric. Students are to complete these steps at their own pace between the first and second session.
Wednesday 5/26 at 6:30pm-9pm - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session. There may be sewing homework to complete before the next session.
Friday 5/28 at 6:30pm-9pm - Students will sew along with the instructor during this session. Some steps may be finished after class at your own pace-- you will receive a recording of the workshop to reference as needed.
Suitable for confident beginners. Please note this is not a learn-to-sew class. Students must have basic machine sewing knowledge and be comfortable using a sewing machine.
Materials + Tools Required
**Save 10% on supplies purchased from Brooklyn Craft Company with code WIKSTEN10**
- Wiksten Shift Pattern (Purchase the printed pattern here!)
- 2 - 4 yd (depending on size, version and fabric width-- see size charts above) light to medium weight woven fabric (not stretchy) like linen, chambray, cotton, etc.
- 1 spool of all-purpose sewing thread
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine -- please make sure your machine is in good working order before registering for this workshop :)
- Iron and ironing board or mat
Date & Time: Three evenings-- see dates above! Please note: the date you select a the top of the page is the first of three parts for this workshop.
Location: Anywhere! This workshop will be hosted virtually via Zoom! Details will be emailed after you register
Max # of students: 8
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Diana Rodgers is a teaching artist living in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Since earning a BFA in apparel design from FIT, she has enjoyed a varied creative career including fashion designer, entrepreneur, and teacher. The ‘common thread’ among all these endeavors is sewing. Diana currently teaches weekly sewing classes to children and adults, covering everything from clothing to accessories to quilts. When not teaching, she creates sewn illustrations (or appliqué), inspired by all the things that make her feel nostalgic. You can check 'em out on Instagram @wonderthreads