VIRTUAL WORKSHOP: Cross Stitch Portraits
Learn how to design and cross-stitch a custom portrait in this two-part virtual workshop! Make a portrait of your favorite people -- newlyweds, families, roommates, BFFs, your favorite band -- the sky's the limit!
You'll begin with our provided templates to use as a jumping-off point for designing people and pet figures. Next, you'll add custom details like hair color, facial hair, glasses, clothing, and any other distinguishing features you'd like. (Don't worry, it's easy, we promise!)
Finally, you'll learn how to translate your design to fabric and work it in cross stitch.
The finished piece makes an amazing gift for your favorite people!
NOTE: Have on hand a photo of the people/pets you want to include in your portrait so that the instructor can help you translate their likeness to your pattern.
In this workshop you will:
- Design a custom group portrait featuring both people and pets
- Learn how to do the basic cross stitch
- Learn how to follow your design and translate it from grid paper to fabric
- Tons of tips and tricks for successful cross stitch portrait making!
This is a two-part workshop taking place on the following dates:
Thursday, 9/24 at 6pm-8pm and Thursday, 10/1 at 6pm-8pm
Due to the time-consuming nature of cross stitch you may not finish your piece in the allotted class hours, but you'll leave with your custom-designed pattern and your cross stitch work-in-progress.
Materials needed for the project are listed below. If you don't have these materials on hand, choose the "Workshop Ticket + Supply Bundle" option above!
- 5 inch embroidery hoop
- 7+ inch piece of 14-count aida cloth (ivory colored cloth will be provided with the bundle; if using your own materials a lighter colored cloth is strongly advised for beginners!)
- Size 5 embroidery needle or size 4 tapestry needle
- Embroidery floss in your desired colors (the supply bundle will include one skien of black floss; add additional colors for your design here!)
- Pattern templates (will be emailed to students who do not purchase supply bundle)
Household tools needed (not included in supply bundle):
- Colored pencils, crayons, or markers in the colors of your design
Date & Time: select start date above (the date chosen will be part 1 of this 2 part workshop!)
Class Length: Two sessions, approx. 2-hours each
Location: Brooklyn Craft Company's NEW LOCATION, 165 Greenpoint Avenue (here’s where we’re located)
Cost: $45 without supplies, $55 with supply bundle included (please choose above)
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR