GREENPOINT WORKSHOP: Sew a Dune Set
Learn to sew your own Dune Tank & Briefs in this in-person sewing workshop at our Greenpoint shop, led by the pattern designer herself, Christine Haynes!
The Dune Tank is a minimal & elegant tank top, with bound armholes & necklines. The narrow straps attach to the body of the tank with O-rings & have elastic encased inside, so they won’t stretch out with wear. A wardrobe staple appropriate for wearing both at home & outside, it is ideal for lounging, exercising, or simply worn as your top. The Dune Briefs are a full cut, high-rise modern undergarment, with elastic-free bound openings, so they won’t cut into your lovely curves for ultimate comfort. Lounge in the briefs at home, or wear under your clothes as traditional underwear.
You'll learn how to:
- Work with stretchy knit fabrics
- Create narrow straps out of fabric w/ encased elastic + how to attach them to the tank with o-rings
- Sew elastic-free bound openings (armholes, neckline, waist, and leg holes)
- Understand basic lingerie construction and gain the skills to tackle more complicated projects
This is a 1-day intensive workshop being held on the following date:
Sunday 2/6 at 11am-6pm
Please note this is not a learn-to-sew class. Students must have basic machine sewing knowledge and be comfortable using a sewing machine. Previous garment sewing experience is highly recommended to enjoy success in this workshop.
- Dune Tank & Briefs Pattern by Christine Haynes -- Purchase the PDF pattern here! Please print and assemble your pattern before arriving for class! To skip finicky printing/ assembly at home, we strongly recommend having your pattern printed by our friends at Brooklyn Motif!
- 1.75-2.75 yards medium weight 2-way or 4-way stretch knits with at least 2% elastic content, like cotton & spandex blends. Fabric will be available for purchase the day of class!
- Notions kits (including o-rings and 1/4" elastic) will be available for purchase the day of class!
Date & Time: Select above
Location: Brooklyn Craft Company, 165 Greenpoint Avenue (here’s where we’re located)
Cost: $150, includes 6+ hours of instruction, and use of our BERNINA sewing machines. Does NOT include fabric or notions-- All required materials will be available for purchase during class at a 10% discount. Pattern must be purchased and printed in advance at the link above.
All class registrations are final; please view our policy for more information regarding visiting visiting instructors.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Christine Haynes is a Brooklyn-based sewing author, teacher, and pattern designer. Christine grew up in Saugatuck, MI, a small beach community on the southwestern coast of Lake Michigan, where the arts were part of her daily life. She attended the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts in the department of Film, Video, and New Media.
Her mother taught her to sew around the age of 10, and it grew from a personal hobby, until it became her main artistic outlet. After selling ready-to-wear garments for many years, Christine turned her focus to teaching others to experience the joy of making clothing for themselves through her patterns, books, and workshops.